RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Since I am planning on going up the mountains a lot, I got myself a second set of wheels (19") and winter tires (Pirelli Winter).

This past Saturday a local tire shop (America's Tires, which had very good ratings) mounted the tires on the new rims and they also installed new TPMS. I opted to order new set of TPMS so that I don't swap them from my current set.

The guys at the shop ordered TPMS required by JLR. At least I personally saw them selecting TPMS for RRS while I was watching the computer screen.

The wheels and tires look great. I am very happy with the choice. Pirelli Winter tires are very "grippy".

However, the issue is TPMS did not appear to properly "register" with the car and I now have the warning light on the dash. The light came on after about 15 minutes of driving, on my way home. Since it was Saturday afternoon, close to end of business, I decided not to return. I am going to call them tomorrow to ask about TPMS and whether they attempted to register them with the car.

But just in case I wanted to ask community here if anybody was in a similar situation previously.

What is needed to register a new set of TPMS with the car?

·
Registered
289 Posts
There are two frequencies of TPMS sensors that have been employed in L494s. If you search, you will see the different frequencies, and which is current. I don't recall off the top of my head. Make sure you got the right ones.

If so, then sometimes it takes a little while for them to register with the computer. Do you still have the problem after driving for a bit?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
It should have a 433mhz tpms. The shop should also know to activate it. Have the same issue when I installed blizzaks WS80 on my Italian made OZ rally racing wheel to my Mercedes Benz. Tpms was not activated! Another tire dealer turned it ON, now it's working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are two frequencies of TPMS sensors that have been employed in L494s. If you search, you will see the different frequencies, and which is current. I don't recall off the top of my head. Make sure you got the right ones.

If so, then sometimes it takes a little while for them to register with the computer. Do you still have the problem after driving for a bit?
I recently went through this with a new set of winter tires/wheels/TPMS that I purchased. I agree with what Jarvis said - L494s employ TPMS sensors that are either 315MHz or 433MHz, depending on the year/model. You can call the service department at your local dealership and they can look up your VIN and tell you the correct TPMS frequency. Your problem may just be a simple case of your shop having installed sensors with the wrong frequency for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
I had the same problem, bought tpms from Tire rack and Discount tire mounted the tires and installed the TPMS, I had the warning light for 4 days, I went back and bought DT sensors, this is a common problem with some sensors, I'm sure you got the 433mhz but its the sensor that needs to be activated, then Discount tire sold me the sensors for my RRS, it was the same sensor just different S# and everything worked fine.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
The shop should know how to activate it. My previous installer where I bought the wheel and tire combo did everything except turn ON the sensors. They must be doing something wrong. A different branch of the tire brand shop I went to just activated the sensors without taking the wheel and tire out of the vehicle. Less than 15 minutes it was done.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
186 Posts
If you don't want to call the dealer, TOPIX will also list which sensor you have when you put in your VIN. When I did mine, I got the OEM sensors off eBay for $150 for a set of 4 new. I had been warned away from aftermarket sensors for the LRs as they can have issues apparently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts