RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck runs pretty good for it's age (1997 4.6HSE/208k). So far it's been turn-key dependable with no mechanical engine issues (any wood around here?). Over time I have developed a method of apeasing it by saying "Thank You" for the things it's still doing well. Only my cruise is flakey on actuation, so when it works it works great in all aspects or it doesn't even try to engage. I'm thinking (Hoping) it may have to do with the dash switch.

Last night my SES light came on and has stayed on. There has been no noticable change in attitude or performance. I found out the hard way that AutoZone, which will OBDII your codes for free, won't do that in California (it figures...) only. Naturally, that's where I am. I don't know anyone locally that has an OBDII reader that I can use either. I thought I read somewhere in "Rover-dom" that the SES will also come on at 50k intervals as a service prompter. I'm wondering if this could be the case. :pray: Because, I am figuring the Check Engine light covers critical sensors and that "it's already too late" catastrophic event. :doh:

Is there a list of what these lights are reporting? I've got RAVE, but I can seem to find a list there.

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
The SES light comes on for all manner of reasons. Mine comes on when there is a big temperature swing overnight, which sometimes happens here.

I have seen guys report that it comes on when they get low on gas. I have had that one, too. Another guy found that opening and closing his gas cap made it go away.

Replacing an old air filter with a new one may do it.

You can get a $ 50 Actron code reader from Sears or several other places. You don't need one with all of the extras on it.

Fuel System Cleaner (I am weird for Redline) seems to have helped keep my SES light from being more active than it was previously.

Beyond that, you're looking at:

1. MAFS - perhaps cleaning thereof.
2. Spark Plugs - replacing.
3. Plug Wires - replacing.

Use the 'search' function, and you will find a mountain of stuff on this topic.

Dan

·
Registered
701 Posts
Chances are it is something minor that it is nipping your heals about. I recently purchases an obd scanner that connects to your computer for about 28 bucks. Has not come yet, but it looked pretty advanced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies. I am having what seems to be a cranky thermostat. Every once in a while the gage starts heading north and will get to the peg, if I let it. The first time it happened I was on the road and by the time I got stopped to check it out the guage had returned to normal, no other symptoms. Everything was fine until it happened again just recently (2 months after first event), this time I was parking anyway, so I popped the hood and started to unscrew the filler and I got hissed at. I let the pressure bleed by just cracking the cap open and I closed it again when the backflow reached it. I checked the guage and it was almost back to normal. There is no leaking (it's English, is that possible? :think: ) so I am assuming the head gaskets are still intact because the engine still runs fine. The third time it happened in a drive-thru and I just pulled over, popped the hood and once again relieved the pressure and the gage went back to normal. I just did an oil change and there were no signs of water. I just checked out RAVE and found thet T-stat R&R is pretty non-invasive so I'm headed for BA to order one. Could this condition be causing the light?

"Keep the rubber side down" :dance:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts