RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Servo-valve or connections short circuit, steering jerky on startup

Whenever I first start the truck, if you grab the wheel the steering pulsates. It is very light, but pulsates. This continues for about 5 seconds, then the wheel gets stiffer and the pulsation stops. I have the following code stored in the body computer:

Servo-valve or connections short circuit

The servo valve on the steering rack is brand new, genuine Land Rover. It was fairly expensive-lol.

I still have power assisted steering, but the fact that it is much lighter immediately after starting it, then gets harder leads me to believe it's registering the fault and disabling a portion of it. Wiring looked good, no corrosion.

What's my next step? Slowly sorting out the demons in hopes of having a relatively reliable vehicle.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Servo-valve or connections short circuit, steering jerky on startup

This has been solved, the body control module had failed. It's a bmw gm3 unit, and you can get one out of a 7 series for about 10 bucks on ebay.

I didn't figure this out until after I spent 100 on a used 2005 Range Rover module.

·
Registered
5 Posts

You could also just replace the bad relay on the BCM's PC board. The part is about 5 bucks and takes only a few minutes to replace if you have basic electronics soldering skills.
You can get the part here: http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity/v23086c1001a403/signal-relay-spdt-co-12vdc-20a/dp/86K0343?mckv=sjHNY43LN|pcrid|41566056141|plid|&CMP=KNC-GPLA

Using your original module assures you all of the variable settings are the same value and there's no need to recode the remote. Chances are very high some of these settings are different especially coming from a Series 7
albeit some of these setting are very subtle that most people wound never even notice, but to some OCD people like myself they want their Rangie just right.

This has been solved, the body control module had failed. It's a bmw gm3 unit, and you can get one out of a 7 series for about 10 bucks on ebay.

I didn't figure this out until after I spent 100 on a used 2005 Range Rover module.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You could also just replace the bad relay on the BCM's PC board. The part is about 5 bucks and takes only a few minutes to replace if you have basic electronics soldering skills.
You can get the part here: http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity/v23086c1001a403/signal-relay-spdt-co-12vdc-20a/dp/86K0343?mckv=sjHNY43LN|pcrid|41566056141|plid|&CMP=KNC-GPLA

Using your original module assures you all of the variable settings are the same value and there's no need to recode the remote. Chances are very high some of these settings are different especially coming from a Series 7
albeit some of these setting are very subtle that most people wound never even notice, but to some OCD people like myself they want their Rangie just right.
Do you know which relay on the board is responsible? I have an IR rework station as well as hot air. I solder every day.

As for the settings, I just swapped the eeprom from board to board to retain all programming :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts