Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on how to get service when nearest JLR is 300 miles away? I'm unfortunately moving from the Seattle/Tacoma area which has 3 JLR dealerships within an hour of me and moving to El Paso Texas and the nearest I've found is Tucson 3+ hours away.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What type of service? If it's just an oil change buy the oil and filter yourself and take it to a Jiffy Lube or something similar, you can watch them and ensure the oil and filter is the quality you should have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ask around.

I have a similar (but far worse) problem, since I'll have to ship my new RRS to a neighbor island dealer for warranty repair, at a cost to me of $840 round trip.

A few weeks ago I saw someone getting out of their older model RR, and asked the driver where he got his car serviced. Surprisingly, he's a mechanic who specializes in Range Rovers/Land Rovers, and works out of his garage at home. Asking other RR owners on the island, almost all use and recommend him.

So for me, I'll now be weighing the cost differential between shipping the truck to O'ahu for warranty repair or just paying for the repair for myself using this mechanic.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ask around.

I have a similar (but far worse) problem, since I'll have to ship my new RRS to a neighbor island dealer for warranty repair, at a cost to me of $840 round trip.

A few weeks ago I saw someone getting out of their older model RR, and asked the driver where he got his car serviced. Surprisingly, he's a mechanic who specializes in Range Rovers/Land Rovers, and works out of his garage at home. Asking other RR owners on the island, almost all use and recommend him.

So for me, I'll now be weighing the cost differential between shipping the truck to O'ahu for warranty repair or just paying for the repair for myself using this mechanic.
So you're planning to kill the warranty you paid for?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you're planning to kill the warranty you paid for?
Fortunately, getting a repair outside the dealership doesn't void the entire warranty, and at the $840 repair threshold for me (and the likely cost of most warranty repairs done outside the dealership), I'll probably end up shipping the car O'ahu for most warranty repairs anyway.

That, and for catastrophic failures that render the car undriveable, JLR has agreed to ship the truck back to the dealer at their expense, if only for the first 6 months of the warranty. I will still pay to get the car back to the Big Island, however.

I've been through all this before, as I have two other vehicles without dealers on this island. It's just the added price of paradise, outside of O'ahu. Surprisingly, even with this added expense, there are a surprising number of LR's and RR's here.

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I lived in Alaska I had a new Isuzu truck and the nearest dealer was >800mi away via ferry and highway. I called their corporate customer service reps when I had a warranty issue and they made arrangements for a local GM dealer to do the work.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
That is understandable as GM and Isuzu have been in partnership and collaboration since the early 70's. Much like having my Sterling serviced at a Honda dealer while traveling because most areas had never even heard of Sterling let alone seen one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any recommendations on how to get service when nearest JLR is 300 miles away? I'm unfortunately moving from the Seattle/Tacoma area which has 3 JLR dealerships within an hour of me and moving to El Paso Texas and the nearest I've found is Tucson 3+ hours away.
Mainly the manufacturer recommended service and god forbid something breaks. Already had Left door speaker replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.