RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally bitten the bullet and started the top end rebuild of my wife's 1993 4.2 LSE.
Increasing overheating probs, cooling system pressurisation, noisy tappet (or 2) etc. - work long overdue!

I'm hoping it's only a gasket, as a compression test gives 160-ish on all pots except 3,5, & 7. No. 5 is about 100 and 3 &7 get to 140 and drop away to nothing. The car's done 147,000m and we've had it for 8 years, occasional problems but overall it's been very reliable. Not much history came with it between the dealers stamped records to 70k and the 113k when we got it. So far I've got the manifold and valley gasket off, there's pretty heavy contamination of the plenum, rocker covers etc, but remarkably the cam and followers don't seem bad at all, very slight dishing on 4 or 5 of the followers, a couple with a bit more dishing and the very front one (no 1 exhaust) is marked as though it hasn't been turning. The cam lobes don't seem to be pitted and there are no brown marks showing it's gone round shouldered. The followers came out fairly easily with some twisting and pulling and don't appear to be too discoloured. I suspect the camshaft's been changed (presumably followers also) at some time in the 'limbo' years, there's evidence of black sealant round the plenum and on the valley gasket end seals.

Anyway - the question, all the followers show no movement when pressed down with the pushrods apart from 3. One will compress about 5 or 6mm and 2 more will go in about 2mm. Is this sticking internal seals or valves? It would account for the ticking noise. I'm not entirely sure how hydraulic tappets work so I want to know if they can be effectively serviced - ie taken apart and cleaned. I can see how it comes apart, and I know I'm going to have to replace 3 or 4 of them, but I'm reluctant to go the whole hog and change the cam as well.

I'll have a good look at the cam, (anyone know how high the lobes are above the shaft?) but I don't think I can face taking the rad and all the assorted coolant gubbins and pulleys out to remove the front cover to get the cam out. I can't detect any play between the crank and cam, so maybe the timing chain has been renewed as well . . .

All this is, of course, academic - if when I get the LH head off, it's more than the gasket . . .

Alastair

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts
Really and truely its a 10 minute job to get that radiator out. THe only part that requires attention is getting all the water pump/front cover bolts back into the right spot. IT would be crazy not to replace the cam and lifters at this mileage especially if you have the entire top end torn down. Plenty of cam options out there for you to choose from. I would highly suggest having your radiator serviced and getting your heads machined. The extra money and time so well worth it. A cam really brought my truck back to life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
cam foolowers chain and wheels will need replacing silly not to do the rad too and a new state and water pump for good measures. heads can be serviced well and a few minor upgrades will give you some more mpg which is nice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts