Range Rovers Forum banner

Service tool to replace rear top hub bush

27K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  docjones 
#1 ·
I’ve just posted this over on another forum but thought it might be helpful to post it here too in case it helps anyone. The topic was about replacing the top bush on the rear wishbone/hub, which is a common wear item on our L322s.

Land Rover have a special service tool to allow the bush to be removed and replaced without removing the complete hub :

This is the actual tool, shown along with a new bush (RHF000260 = £28.30), special bolt (RYP000090 = £6.41), eccentric washer (RGI000012= £4.84) and nut (RYH501100 = £1.09)

The special tool costs an eye-watering £148.52 from Dingocroft here in the UK and, as you can see below, you don’t get much for your money – maybe an alternative would be to improvise something from a couple of sockets and some threaded bar :

The loose washer (& the built in washer on the bolt) are eccentric as they’re the mechanism used for adjusting the camber on the rear wheels:

Phil

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting information. Thanks for that. I've managed to use sockets, washers, and a threaded bar to do this myself... but having the specially designed tool would probably be a lot faster, no guessing etc.

#4 ·
mercs600 said:
The one for the Vauxhall Vectra by Sealey tools is exactly the same and costs only £60 bew - I got one and its exactly the same as the Land Rover one - changed the bush from start to finish in 15 minutes :) :mrgreen:

Do you have a link to that tool and perhaps some how-to info? I need to do this asap and honestly have been putting it off because it looks like a nightmare.

PS linux thanks for your PM BTW I totally forgot about that `)

#6 ·
If you are in the US, LR OEM special tools may be purchased from SPX Corp: http://landrover.spx.com/

Prices are eye-watering alright, but slightly less so than in the UK apparently. That specific tool costs US$150 and change here (plus shipping/tax): http://landrover.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=1238

I wonder if a local dealer may be willing to rent these tools out if you ask them nicely? Some tools are in the thousands to purchase, and considering you will likely use them only once...

#7 ·
Good info, thanks everyone...

So I should be able to unbolt the hub from the upper, then fit the tool and that's all there is to it??? Anything else need to be disassembled?

Also, based on that look of that tool, I'm thinking about just rounding the teeth off of a metal cutting hole saw that I have and using that as that larger hollow bit pictured with the tool... From there it looks like all I need are a couple of beefy washers and a big bolt. I'll let you guys know how I do.

Thanks again.

#9 ·
Looks like that could work... I've done a lot of bearing/pulley pressing to rebuild/upgrade some superchargers on my other car... I'm thinking I can rig something to work... Maybe a bearing puller??? I could fit the puller to clip to the hub, then from the opposite end press it out with a bit of metal over the bushing... If that works I'll post up pics because the puller is probably 20 bucks.

#11 ·
I brought both upper and lower bushes to an engineering shop, along with Rave pages showing LR Tools and how they worked, and a day later had an M14 bar and 22mm nuts together with 2 pairs of 'cups' to push out/ push in both bushes. All for €52. Did the job a treat, only thing now is, the right upper bush has moved from it's .75mm protruding to about 5mm since I put the weight of the car back down on the suspension. I did use grease on the bush to help it line up. Maybe I shouldn't have and now will have to remove and do it again. With the puller though, it is a quick job once it's all jacked up. Anyone had similar grief with the movement after settling it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.