RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Service Required" or "Oil Service Required"

I have owned my 2016 RRS Diesel since last August. It had a "Service Required" indicator present then I bought it from the local Mercedes dealer. They performed a full service on it but they could not reset the indicator because they didn't have the tool. I bought the GAP IID Diagnostics tool to reset the indicator. Unfortunately, the tool is not able to reset the indicator after a few months of tech support from GAP. They are at a loss as to why it remains. They indicated that the "Service Required" indicator may not be associated with the oil service, however my mileage to oil service counter is at 0 miles. My question is, does the panel display an "Oil Service Required" message when it needs an oil change or just a generic "Service Required"?? Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: "Service Required" or "Oil Service Required"

Additional info...I have plenty of DEF fluid. I have had the "Oil Dilution" update applied. I do not have any engine fault codes. Thus, I think it is an oil service message, but I am just trying to get more data to share with GAP.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I think it just says service required when it is time for an oil change. There are several things completed to include fuel filter I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts

Saw this over on the Discovery 5 Forum:

In the event you work on your own vehicle, you may want to reset the service interval after an oil change. Below are the steps. They must be accomplished in rapid succession and I suggest you read through all the steps before starting. This is tested and it works for my 2018 D5 Td6.

1 - sit in the drivers seat with all the doors and hood closed
2 - push the ignition button once, no foot on the brake, we do not want to start the vehicle (called position 2)
3 - with the door still closed, pop the hood with the hood release. This will bind on the door a little, but can be accomplished - just pull it.
4 - open the driver door and stay in the vehicle
5 - hold (depress) the gas and brake pedal for 60 seconds
6 - check the display - it should have reset and you are good to go from another 8000 miles (usually resets in about 15 seconds)
7 - close the hood

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks jhartz, but I should have mentioned I have tried that over and over again and it has never worked for me. That is why I bought the GAP tool.

Saw this over on the Discovery 5 Forum:

In the event you work on your own vehicle, you may want to reset the service interval after an oil change. Below are the steps. They must be accomplished in rapid succession and I suggest you read through all the steps before starting. This is tested and it works for my 2018 D5 Td6.

1 - sit in the drivers seat with all the doors and hood closed
2 - push the ignition button once, no foot on the brake, we do not want to start the vehicle (called position 2)
3 - with the door still closed, pop the hood with the hood release. This will bind on the door a little, but can be accomplished - just pull it.
4 - open the driver door and stay in the vehicle
5 - hold (depress) the gas and brake pedal for 60 seconds
6 - check the display - it should have reset and you are good to go from another 8000 miles (usually resets in about 15 seconds)
7 - close the hood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts