RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I just recently had 30k mile service at Prestige Land Rover in Paramus. My wife took the car in and she sat and waited for almost 3 hrs waiting for them to complete the service. They gave her the ususal spill that you need front brake pads ASAP for $700 even though just 6 months ago brakes were good - the car has 23k miles now.

I had chance to look over the car after about a week since service (less than 200 miles of driving) and noticed that oil looked and smelled old (dark and tinge of gasoline smell). I have fresh castrol 5 w 20 and it looks/smells nothing like what's on my dipstick. I am planning to take the car back in this Friday even though the dealership is adamant that they changed the oil /filer as per the invoice. Is there any other way of checking to see if they really chanaged the oil other than looking at the oil or oil filter? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Take a look at the oil filter housing--does it look clean like its been recently changed or have a layer of engine film on it?

Another telltale sign is if you went in with 10 screws on the underbelly guard, and came back with 8 screws, they probably changed it.

Btw, oil can get dark pretty quick, as the system holds probably 2 qts of oil that can't be drained completely.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goosey - thank you for the reply. Good point on the undrained oil and how the oil could look dark. I guess I wont' go in there swinging (demanding for another oil change) but with healthy dose of skepticism.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Next time use a sharpie and mark the existing oil filter. After you get it back, see if your marking is still there. Sad that this has to be done but you can't really trust anyone but yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
j/c but how did you get a free(?) 30K maint service @23K? I ask, 'cause the guys at Parsippany are pretty particular about being reasonably close on the mile counter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the "free" service because of time - earlier of 24 months or 30k miles I think. I missed the guys at Parsippany. It's over 30miles away but perhaps I should consider going back to them.

On a side note Prestige LR also gave me a free car wash despite number of requests to NOT wash the car. Now, I have tons of swirl marks. They've agreed to fix that as well....we'll see

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
:doh: I forgot about the time thing as I am always racking up more miles than time.

Btw, I'm at 30K and going in Tues for my service so I'm planning on getting the brake talk. So I probably ought to think about redoing the brakes soon. If that's the case, I will try to find time do them myself and do a detailed step by step w pictures for all you guys that want to do this job. I don't think anyone has done that yet, right?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Btw, I'm at 30K and going in Tues for my service so I'm planning on getting the brake talk. So I probably ought to think about redoing the brakes soon. If that's the case, I will try to find time do them myself and do a detailed step by step w pictures for all you guys that want to do this job. I don't think anyone has done that yet, right?
Yep, I got that talk last time...I was planning on the same thing as you for the step by step. Hopefully you'll get there first :!:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
goosey - I am also planning to do the brakes some time this winter and would love to see a step by step with pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
3E, I may do this the weekend of Dec 5th or 12th. Let me know if you do it sooner. Btw, I looked at both Rover Connection and Atlantic British and seems like the OEM full kit costs about $520/550(if you get the sensors).

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Not doing it sooner than that. At the last service they told me I might need new ones at the next service (can't remember what % they told me they were at), but I remember thinking I had waaaay more time than the next service.

Interesting, they said it would be about $500 - I don't know what he was including though. Again I wasn't really listening because I knew I'd be doing it myself... Can't wait for the DIY from the Goose!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Sure thing Sbkim.

3E, that was for front and back with new rotors??? If that's the case I might drive out to ID, do some skiing at Sun Valley while the car is at your dealer. :dance:

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you guys do your own, will you just do the front or all 4 tires?

I know the front ware faster then the rear.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes - i stopped by Prestige and the master tech came out and confirmed that the oil has been changed. He showed me the filter from the top and looked pretty clean so I guess I will just take leap of faith and believe them. If you are in, ask for Chuck - he is the main service guy. He took time out to explain the 30k service, including how to change the pollen filter. If I were you, I wouldn't ask them to wash your car unless swirl marks dont' bother you.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
:doh: I forgot about the time thing as I am always racking up more miles than time.

Let me know if you need any help \ questions. Its pretty straight forward. It would be a pain in the a$$ to take pictures in between the job. The pads replacement is easy if you just taake the caliper housing off with the 21mm 12pt socket - theres 2 bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts