RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 RR and live in California which requires vehicle to pass smog to renew registration. An illuminated SES light is an automatic fail.

Went to O'Reily Auto Parts and had code pulled; it returned with P0453 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor / Switch High Input.

Would appreciate any knowledge on how to get the SES light off. BTW, she sat for 1.5 years while I was away. I returned to rodent infestation under the hood. After cleaning, she fires and drives fine. Am hoping perhaps mice perhaps just chewed a crucial wire.

Would appreciate any knowledge on how to get the light off (as inexpensively as possible). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
you may have just answered your own question, look for chewed wires, also grab a copy of the rave and follow the fuel evap circuit. I believe there is a control solenoid by the left side of the engine not sure of there is another at the canister near the fuel tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply 95. Followed your instructions. Hose clamp screws face ground. How to access...climb under vehicle? BTW hoses look good. Best method to remove vent solenoid?

·
Registered
271 Posts
First, clear the check engine light, drive it, and see if the fault returns. The information provided in this web page indicates wiring issues (shorts, open circuits) could be the reason for the fault, so your rodents could be the cause.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0453

The pressure sensor is on top of the fuel tank. To access it, you have to drop the tank. But, before that, inspect the wiring heading up to the top of the tank and see if there is any obvious damage. If no obvious wiring faults, before going through the trouble of dropping the tank, I would probably check the EVAP system hoses that you can reach to make sure there are no blockages. Last resort, drop the tank to check the final run of wiring, the EVAP hoses on top of the tank, and the sensor itself.

Brett

·
Registered
301 Posts
If we a talking about the red Service Engine Light I don't think you can clear that with an ordinary code reader. It is different from the yellow Check Engine Light (CEL).
I can't even clear it with my my P38 specific Hawkeye. Mine came on when I decided to use a different instrument cluster that did not have a cracked clear cover. It has been on for over a year now.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good new is that if it's a solenoid related issue pertaining to Emissions Control, there are only 4 such sensors/solenoids. 3 of them are in the engine compartment and 1 is on the fuel tank.

From the sounds of it, I would be leaning towards the sensor on the fuel tank, as that's where the fuel pressure sensor is located.

However, although this may just end up throwing money away, I would start with an easy fix that may or may not work. In such scenario, I would just swap out the purge valve in the engine room. The part is only around $25, and is easily accessible. I would try this first and see what happens.

The remaining 2 sensors/solenoids are the EVAP canister self-test solenoid and the solenoid for SAI. For the code you're getting, I doubt these 2 are the cause.

I think the worst case scenario is that you have to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel sender unit, as the fuel pressure sensor is part of the unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts