RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USA 2005 BMW M62: My "Service Engine Soon" light came on the other day. It's gone off once or twice but back on now. No noticeable difference at all in the running of the truck, running perfect except light is on. What kind of tool do I need to pull the code in order to troubleshoot?

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
If it is basic engine related you can most likely run down to NAPA/OReilly/PEP Boys... etc and borrow their code reader to pull and reset the code.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
T4/Testbook (LR Dealer), AllComms (RSW Solutions), Faultmate... there are a couple more.
Or just any obd2 scanner you can literally get anywhere for next to nothing. Any obd2 scanner will pull/clear engine codes. No sense in spending several hundred when a $20 dollar scanner will work... Unless ofcourse you're wanting to pull ABS codes, suspension codes, range rover specific things otherwise something basic will work fine.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys, I'll try the NAPA/Autozone then maybe look for a cheap ODB2 scanner for future use. Truck has been running so good really curious to see what this is.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Light has gone out on it's own, for now. Think I am just going to buy an inexpensive tool, as I've also got a Check Engine light on my wife's E320 that is on. Anybody seen or used this:

http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm

Are these added functions worth it? Or should I just get a cheap $20-$80 scanner?

·
Registered
868 Posts
This just happened to me. I was topping up getting ready for a trip...and over topped so the fuel overflowed. Code P0443 came up on the OBD with the service engine soon light. Cleared the code using the obd tester and the problem was solved.

Learned from the Rave that the car automatically checks the tank for leaks and disables the evap valve if it detects a leak. Overflowing at the cap obviously fooled the detection and tripped the code.

Moral...don't top these things too far.

John

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my light was coming on and going off several times each time I drove the truck, now the light has remained off for the last several days not coming on at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts