RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 P38 and the Service Engine Soon light came on. So I hooked up the computer and used the RSW software to check the error code. It said "Secondary air system fault bank 1 Drive Cycle D: Signal Out of Range - above max". After a search on this forum and a general Google search it seems that it could be the secondary air pump. Although I did find one post that suggested is was the Mass Airflow Sensor. Before I go buy any parts or attempt to repair, any idea on which one it could be? If it is the air pump or the Mass Airflow Sensor are either difficult to replace?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You will know if the Secondary air pump is working as when you first start from cold, it will sound like a high powered blow dryer is under the bonnet for about 30 seconds.
If it is the MAF, sadly the Bosch version does not seem to respond well to MAF cleaner, and you will be wasting your money on anything but a genuine Bosch replacement. Aftermarket units do not seem to work well.
Have you checked all electrical connections in the engine bay? Could be corrosion or chafing issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will check it out and see if it is working.

Appreciate the information.

Cheers,

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts