Range Rovers Forum banner

Service Engine Light

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jinx 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE.
The service engine light is on and I'm wondering if it can be reset.
I've seen posts about resetting it with a paper clip into a box mounted in the kick panel or under passenger seat or holding down trip button.
I looked into the paper clip reset method, but found no such box (small relay sized box with white sticker).
Does anyone know if this can be reset outside of a dealership.

Also, I have an Airbag / srs fault. Does anyone know what might be a common culprit? I've heard that the connections under the seat often come loose, but I can't identify which one is the airbag.[/code]

#2 ·
Same thing here. Yesterday my 98 hit 100,100 miles and the light came on. NOT the Check Engine light, but the SERVICE ENGINE light. Have seen tons of posts on multiple forums. what is the actual reset procedure ??
There is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

#3 ·
If you know of anyone with a Nanocom then it can be reset with that. The command is under BeCM, Utilities. From the Nanocom manual:

Reset service reminder: This only works on NAS or Canadian specification vehicles
where the function is normally enabled. This function resets the engine service reminder
warning lamp, which illuminates constantly after the vehicle has travelled more than
approximately 50,000 miles or 80,500 kilometers.

Other specific P38 diagnostic tools may well be able to do it but as I have no experience of them I can't tell you. As the manual says, it is only NAS and Canadian market cars that have the SES light enabled, the rest of the world doesn't have it.

All the SRS wiring is in yellow flexible tubing, so it will be that one. Usually it is the one to one of the side airbags in the front seats.

#5 ·
If you mean the gong that sounds all the time the key is in the ignition but it is switched off, it is under BeCM, Settings, Alarm, Key Warning. To connect to the BeCM the ignition must be OFF, all other systems need the ignition to be ON.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.