RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Later model RRC's came with a emissions warning system that is preset at different times to tell the owner to get the emissions system serviced. To do this it lights a red light on the dash that reads "Service Engine". If you dont know this you will spend you lunch break crawling all around your Rover at Steak and Shake looking for the cause. Well now I have the steps for resetting or totally disabling the system all together, saving you your lunch break.

First thing to do is remove the kick plate and trim from around the seat and pull down the carpet on the back. Look under the seat and you will spot a brown box about a inch wide and two inchs long. Heres a picture.

Now the next part is easy. To rest the system take a nail and stick it into the hole on top to you feel the relay reset. Do this with the key off. If you are like me an couldnt care less about emissions control just remove the relay all together and it will never be a problem again. Heres a picture of the hole on top of the control box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, I'm trying to follow your instructions for this, but I'm not finding the brown box. Couple of questions, I have a 95 4.0 SE. Do your instructions apply to that model? Which seat are you talking about? Thank you.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
Hey there, I'm trying to follow your instructions for this, but I'm not finding the brown box. Couple of questions, I have a 95 4.0 SE. Do your instructions apply to that model? Which seat are you talking about? Thank you.
You do not have a Classic. You have a P38.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guys, I am needing to reset my engine light and I can not find the brown box. The pictures on the page aren't loading or are expired. Does anyone have pictures of this they would like to update? Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here you go Sir - displaylocation.jpg

you may be able to reach it without removing the threshold facia. The box is actually black, and the plug to the harness i believe is brown. Box will tell you a code, reference the code to what needs to be repaired. Then Pull plug, turn off car, let ECU click off (takes a few seconds) reconnect, start up. You will get a reset code on first run but that code will not toss a CEL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here you go Sir - View attachment 245865

you may be able to reach it without removing the threshold facia. The box is actually black, and the plug to the harness i believe is brown. Box will tell you a code, reference the code to what needs to be repaired. Then Pull plug, turn off car, let ECU click off (takes a few seconds) reconnect, start up. You will get a reset code on first run but that code will not toss a CEL.
will this work on a 96 Disco as well? I'm trying to reset the RED Service light, and having difficulty finding this info.

thanks in advance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts