RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to houston Land Rover. Quoted 1200 for 1 year service. Included oil change, tire balance and rotation, alignment, engine filter change, car wash. I couldn’t believe it. I bought my car in Florida and I don’t think they charge that much. What are your experiences? I didn’t do the service just an oil change.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
2nd year service for an Fpace was $800 for me. They keep trying to say it’s cheaper cause you get the first one free.
I’m floored! I really feel if JLR is to compete they have to offer a pre purchased maintenance plan.
Over 4 years you end up spending almost $4k on just scheduled maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nobody force you to go to JLR dealer for scheduled maintenance.
I use our local indy shop for that. They change oil for $40 plus $90 for oil and filter, which I buy online. Also I buy AdBlue from any Autozone store for $12 and add it myself ( Cost $200 in JLR dealer). My 40K service was "BIG" according to my dealer and the price was $1,100. In addition to above it included fuel filter change. I paid them $200 for fuel filter change only and the rest has been done by Indy. Total cost was about $400.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
52 Posts
My dealer makes my stomach turn. They are always trying to up sell everything. Things you don't need! It has become sickening. I go to the dealer for all warranty work. I too use an indy shop. I use Pep Boys, they put in my ceramic breaks, do my oil changes etc. They are less than than 40% of the dealer cost. They service three of my cars and I get ($50.) coupons good for cash and 20% off services. Early next month I will get a synthetic oil change for my hybrid and the cost will be under $30.00 I been using them for the last 10 years very very happy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a friend who is a service advisor at a JLR dealership and even he tells me not to do all the service work at the dealer. I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a trustworthy independent mechanic at all times, kind of like a family doctor.

Similarly, much like seeing a doctor, there are many simple things that one can do in your garage that certainly don't require going to your doctor for. It's all about striking the right balance between taking care of minor things yourself and bringing the vehicle in to your trusted mechanic (preferably one who is familiar with Land Rovers) for more complex issues.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
I agree the prices are crazy but remember that is how the dealership keeps its doors open. they could not with just selling vehicles not enough margins.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree the prices are crazy but remember that is how the dealership keeps its doors open. they could not with just selling vehicles not enough margins.
Not enough margin ? Are you kidding ? They sell Range Rover for no less than MSRP and sometime even more than that..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Land Rover does often pre-paid maintenance unless something changed recently. I paid for the 4 year maintenance and have one more year to go. I forgot the cost but it ends up being cheaper than paying for each visit separately.

Once the plan is done I'll probably go to a local independent shop for service and warranty for the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Not enough margin ? Are you kidding ? They sell Range Rover for no less than MSRP and sometime even more than that..
what does that have to do with anything?
their margin on a car is a few percentage point (at MSRP). even on an L405 ATB it's less than 10%. On a smaller car, it's less.
and, for the record, they don't always sell the cars at MSRP nowadays.
without the warranty/service income, they could not stay open.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I work as a tax attorney for national accounting firm. We are one of the largest service providers to the dealership industry (both heavy trucking and passenger vehicles). I have seen A LOT of dealership financial over the years. The new car sales department of a dealership most often loses money without factory incentives. Service work and used cars are where dealerships make their money. It doesn’t matter if it is a Bentley dealer or a Chevy dealer (I have seen plenty of both including dozens of JLR dealers).

Now back on topic, I have the 4 year prepaid maintenance on my L405. I took the car to the dealer and they recommended over $1,000 of service including cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid change, engine oil, rotate and balance, fuel injector cleaner, and all other kinds fo crazy upcharge add-ons.

I reminded them that I have prepaid maintenance and that JLR only recommends oil change, tire rotate, and engine filter at this service interval. I asked why they felt the additional services where required or recommended when JLR does not include these items in the maintenance schedule. They changed their tune quickly and quit trying to sell me the dumb extras. In addition to being a tax attorney working heavily with dealerships, I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I am the wrong person for a service department to try to oversell. But I see it ALL THE TIME at JLR dealers.

Fast forward a little but and my wife took her 2017 discovery in for its first service (picked up in march of 2018). They car has 6,500 miles and they quoted her $700 for the first service. A quick phone call fixed that quickly, but again the theme continues. They keep recommending services and add ons that are not needed. This seems to be the theme at all JLR dealers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my ‘16 RRS HSE TD6 in WA state in 2017. Just had 2nd annual service in California and it was about $1200 for about the same. I’m looking for a non-dealership mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 RRS Supercharged. I purchased it in Dec 2017 in Reno, NV. I also purchased the ‘Maintenance 4 pack’ for $1850 (covers my first 4 services). I debated on getting it, as I’m a DIY’er, however overall it didn’t seem like a bad deal.

I did my first service in San Jose. The total cost was $807 (all covered by the plan).

It will definitely be cheaper for me on the ‘package plan’ than individual services at the dealer. Probably a bit more expensive than a DIY approach.

FWIW, I love the vehicle. Past toys included a Cayenne and Infinity FX35. I came out of an Audi A7 to the RRS. I loved that car, but needed more space for the dogs.

I had a huge complaint with the lack of tech in the car in regards to the infotainment system. The 2012 Audi was way better. However, the recent upgrade to Apple CarPlay has made a huge positive difference in the RRS. The dealer quoted me around $300 for the upgrade, but ended up doing it for no cost to me as there we issues at the dealership that caused them to have my car for 3 days.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
Someone in this forum recommended Sports Car Repair here in Houston and I have been happy with them. Not sure what you can have them do that would not violate your warranty.

When I had my 2008 HSE in for a couple of recalls recently I asked Momentum about their price for an oil change and the service manager quoted me $400. I get mine done at Sports Car Repair for $100 including synthetic oil. Which is still probably overpriced.

The dealers are their own worst enemy.

Take it EZ,
Robert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Lauren, I stopped taking my RR to the dealership after my warranty was done. Montrose Car Care in Houston near St. Thomas Uni is reasonable and the owner is very trustworthy. Have gone to Sam for many years.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I purchased an extractor, buy the air, oil, cabin filters online as well as the oil....I do both my L405 TD6 and the wife's Cayenne TD6 in about 30 min start to finish...even if you are not that technical it is very easy especially on the L405 as it is made for an extractor....the air filter is a few screws, and the cabin air is tool less...if you have a diesel the oil is a tad expensive at $10/liter...all in $100 or less...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I purchased an extractor, buy the air, oil, cabin filters online as well as the oil....I do both my L405 TD6 and the wife's Cayenne TD6 in about 30 min start to finish...even if you are not that technical it is very easy especially on the L405 as it is made for an extractor....the air filter is a few screws, and the cabin air is tool less...if you have a diesel the oil is a tad expensive at $10/liter...all in $100 or less...
Thinking about going the same route for the next service. What about the oil filter? Is that difficult to change?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thinking about going the same route for the next service. What about the oil filter? Is that difficult to change?
Very easy...The top engine cover lifts off...perfect time to clean it with a hose...then the filter cover spins off with a ratchet and a large socket...or an adjustable wrench...it should only be hand tight...I put plenty of paper towel around the filter housing to catch any drippings...

BTW get an extractor that is large enough for the biggest vehicle you have....while the TD6 is 6L the Wife's Cayenne I think is 9L so I needed a larger one...also for not much money you can buy a big plastic Jerry Can from Harbour Freight to put the used oil in and transport to either your town or such for recycling...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts