RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 SWB with 150k on it, it was shifting rough so I had my land rover mechanic drain and fill the transmission fluid as well as change the filter, it was very dirty and had sludge in the sump. It certainly seems like no one changed it in a long time. Well after he did that i drove it for 5 miles and it drove perfect and shifted extremely smooth like it was designed to, but right after that it started acted like it was in neutral, the engine would just rev and it would not move forward I couldn't put it into R or D. If i turn the car off and back on it would drive fine for a few city blocks then the same thing again and it would act like it was in N again. Would the new filter be clogged by any chance? Would a full flush fix this or is the transmission gone?

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
A drain and change only changes a portion of the oil. Definately give it a flush and then drop the pan and change the filter again.

·
Registered
665 Posts
sounds like the fresh detergents in the new oil loosend up some sludge elsewhere, time to do a full flush and another filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure seems clogged, because if it was toast i doubt it would shift through all the gears smoothly, I hope that will fix it, how bad is it to drive 2 miles while it is doing that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Brandon, who is your mechanic in San Antonio? I haven't needed one yet :shock: :shock: but, I am sure at some point I will. I also live in the Alamo City.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
brandon4589 said:
It sure seems clogged, because if it was toast i doubt it would shift through all the gears smoothly, I hope that will fix it, how bad is it to drive 2 miles while it is doing that?
Trannies are pretty robust. I doubt if two miles hurt anything. Just diconnect the cooling line from the cooler at the tranny, stick a piece of hose on it and place in a bucket. Stick an eaxtra 3 or 4 qts of fluid in the tranny with a few quarts open and handy. Have a buddy start the engine and run until the fluid runs clean. Have you buddy shift through the gears during this process to flush the valve body. The pump will push the clean fluid through the tranny, cooler and lines and into the bucket. If you hear air or oil splattering in the bucket jsut toss in a few more quarts of fluid. It jsut means that your pan has run dry. Hook up the cooler line, drop the pan, change the filter again, reassemble, top off and you will hopefully be good to go.
:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts