RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine overheated & gasket blown n between 2&4 , took them both to machinists & he tells me they need 10 thou skimmed off . to bring them back to true . Fine . But will i need to get the inlet manifold machined to match the difference in angle & how would I work it out , or will the intake gasket take it up ?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No need to do anything with the inlet manifold. If you look at it you'll see that the holes are much larger than the bolts that go through them for this exact reason.

·
Registered
505 Posts
definitely measure the heads, just in case someone has done skim before. I had 9-thou skimmed from mine and found somebody in it's previous ownership had also skimmed about 30-thou. Just got my manifolds done 1mm to compensate. Next job is to trim the gasket so the holes clear the inlet ports.

Correct method is to skim head inlet port face to same amount as the cylinder face, but you can skim the inlet manifold same amount instead because it's a 90-deg engine.

See RAVE page-6 in engine overhaul section.
Cylinder Head Measurement.JPG

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unless you bought the truck new and know the history, measure the heads. I am a big proponent of using head studs instead of bolts when you do gaskets on these. The torque-to-yield bolts impart a stupid amount of torque on the aluminum block in the wrong direction (tangential to the stud). That's why, when you find a crack in the Rover v8 block, you often (not always) find it in the area near the threaded hole for the head bolt.

When you use a stud, you screw it into the block with minimal torque compared to stretch bolts. When you tighten the nuts the force is along the axis of the stud, which is a lot less likely to damage your block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts