Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

In the snow, when you select the "snow" traction mode, is it typical
for the transmission to not shift beyond third gear?
Is this mode only designed for slow travel and digging out of snow?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
At Law said:
Hello All,

Are you in Lo mode?

I use snow mode only on slippery/icy surfaces. I think the transmission starts out in 2nd or 3rd gear (depends on whether you're in Hi or Lo range) to reduce wheelspin.

In deeper snow, you may want to consider either sand mode or mud/rut (Lo recommended) that allows you to spin the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
At Law said:
Hello All,

Are you in Sport/Manual or Normal mode on the shifter? I believe "Snow" only lets you do Manual in the Sport/Manual setting and I think it starts out in 2 if you are stopped when you select "Snow", but you should be able to go up past 3 manually.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in Sport mode at a stop sign when I applied the Snow setting.

The RPM's climbed to 4k or 5k and did not shift any further.
I then took it out of the Snow setting.

I did notice the transmission showed it was in 2nd gear.

I am a bit confused how this mode works and what is its intended purpose.

Thank you Gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
At Law said:
Just my observations...I'm sure there are some points I'm missing, but I'm just going from memory---its been a while since its snowed :crybaby2:

I can't vouch for Sport mode, but if you are in Normal/Hi/Snow mode the car shifts normally up through the range although I've never noticed if the shift point rpms are altered. As I understand it, the primary purpose of this mode is to make sure the wheels never spin and loose traction on a slippery surface. The car starts out in a higher gear, throttle response is muted, and DSC is active. Its useful for slippery hills, and starting from a slippery surface. Think slippery, not necessarily snow when using this mode.

In you are stuck in 1+ft of dry snow, you may want a bit of wheelspin to get some momentum and I find Sand mode to be useful.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
At Law said:

Thank you Gentlemen.
Sport mode in "Snow" will function as a manual, you have to change the gears yourself. If you leave it in Normal (Non-Sport/Manual) it will change gears for you. This applies to Hi-range, don't know about Lo-range.

If the transmission is showing you what gear you are in, that means you are in a manual mode.

Hope that makes sense. :thumb:

gooseyloosey said:
In you are stuck in 1+ft of dry snow, you may want a bit of wheelspin to get some momentum and I find Sand mode to be useful.
Wait, is this like the river crossing? We need pics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TripleE said:
At Law said:

Thank you Gentlemen.
Sport mode in "Snow" will function as a manual, you have to change the gears yourself. If you leave it in Normal (Non-Sport/Manual) it will change gears for you. This applies to Hi-range, don't know about Lo-range.

If the transmission is showing you what gear you are in, that means you are in a manual mode.

Hope that makes sense. :thumb:

Ah ha. This does make sense. I didn't realize that in Sport Shift Mode with the Snow feature selected,
manual shifting was required.
That explains why my RPMS were high--I wasn't shifting manually.
A 2 did come up on the dash so I must have bumped it into second gear while messing around.

I appreciate the information. I am anxious to leave the office. It has been snowing
hard all day and I will have 10 inches of fresh powder to play in on the way home. :dance:

gooseyloosey said:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
gooseyloosey said:
Ok, once we get some snow maybe I'll do a similar write up/pics on how to get unstuck.

The main thing is to get your wife a nice light pack shovel like this one http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/commerce/catalog/product/id/1643. I surprised mine with one on her birthday. If she's gonna have to hike a bit to get pine boughs to put under the wheels while you wait in the car, a set of snowshoes, flashlight and nice knife will also be in order.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Speaking of Terrain Response, I am sure Adam Spiker (who gave me a copy a few years ago) won't mind anymore if I share the transcript of a Terrain Response presentation made at an All-Wheel Drive conference by a Land Rover engineer back in 2005. You know engineers... Boring! :wink: However, the document explains the system in great technical detail and contains a lot of interesting information that our Owner's Manual leaves out... If anything, the presentation should give us more appreciation for the hard work that went into designing, testing and fine tuning our revolutionary Terrain Response traction technology, which other manufacturers (Toyota, Jeep) are only now starting to copy. Even the silly icons for the system underwent extensive studies and surveys before being chosen for the final product.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts