RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know what happens if Park is selected when the vehicle is at speed?
The Land Rover guides state the following: "Never select P while the vehicle is in motion. Doing so can result in serious transmission damage."

Obviously I understand from the above that this is not recommended, but having had manual transmissions for many year I have an annoying habit of resting my hand on the gear lever and feel sometimes the P button is very exposed and worry about pressing it accidentally.:shock:

·
Registered
152 Posts
You shoot through the front winshield head first as the wheels lock. Just joking. It won't let you shift to park while at speed. I rest my hand on the shifter and have done it before and my dog actually has done it trying to get into the front seat from the back.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
It has a lock out. I’ve hit it resting my hand on it.

I think the lockout disables at low speeds, I don’t know what speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shoot through the front winshield head first as the wheels lock. Just joking.
:-D:-D That's what I figured, must remember seat belt...:thumb:

All joking aside, that's good to know, thanks to SGR and Keralis.
Low speeds haven't been my worry, more what would happen if I tapped a bit hard on the P button at 60.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Well yes and no.. if you are at a high enough speed it will not lock BUT if you are at a slow roll it will engage and damage the parking pawl. I had too had the same concern just be careful when parking don't hit it until fully stopped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts