RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,i have a 96 HSE 4.6 Gems.Message centre displays Select Neutral.Transfer motor was not working so took it off and it was jam.now it is working fine after some greasing.i can hear transfer shift sound every time i move gear leaver from high to low or low to high.Message center displays high and low accordingly when lever is shifted from high to low or low to high.Sports mode is not working,only displays 'Sport' for 1/2 second.Indicator sound is gone,but hazard sound is there only when the engine is OFF and no sound when engine running.Checked both the ECU's under the seat both dont smell/look burt.changed the old ECU with the new one which has cooling fins on it but the problem is still there,do i need to change the other ECU as well? My car is shifting at much higher RPM's now.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Have you checked the transfer motor microswitches at the transfer ecu, Check RAVE for the table that shows this. Essentially you want to check for continuity (or not) between the common wire going to the motor (from ecu) and the individual/microswitch wires coming back to the ecu, that's just where i'd start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly...I am unable to find that switch in rave where is it? there is an X,Y,Z switch in ETM 1995/circuits/B7-automatic gearbox is that it?
Secondly....i hope the continuity is ok on the wires of transfer motor because it changes the transfer case when requested but dont know about the micro switches.
I was again in the car trying to figure out the problem and came to know that hazard only beep when ignition is OFF if i switch ignition to On position the beep sound stops immediately.
Gear leaver in the high position behaves like this: Constant flashing of lights on high region,sport mode not working,Display shows SELECT NEUTRAL msg all the time except when in neutral.
Gear leaver in low position behaves like this: When i move leaver to low position,display shows Low with lights flashing on low side and sometimes after a while (by itself) it shows High (while the leaver is still in low range) and lights on high side start flashing.Some times while changing into low or high side it beeps but not most of the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the table....
how to check according to that table? what does it mean LEFT OF HIGH MODE,RIGHT OF HIGH MODE,ZONE 1,ZONE 2 etc.I have a multimeter and i need some guidance on how to check according to the table.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The table is just showing the logic inputs corresponding to the position the motor happens to be at. As an example if it 'sees' S2 open and all the rest closed it's going to think its at 'Right Stop' and so shouldn't go any further.

What your looking for is does the table tally with the continuity of the micro-switches, specifically "High mode", which is i guess what you should be in, so when testing do you get, S1 0, S2 0, S3 1, S4 0 The table and diagram seem to contradict each other, but no matter as even if it was inverted i.e 1,1,0,1 no other mode other than 'Hi mode' has that combination.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Well i just tried this and the table is correct. In high mode you should have continuity on S1,S2,S4 but nothing on S3. Took about 10mins, move autobox ecu out the way, remove transfer ecu connector, orientate the connector to RAVE diagram and start testing the 4 wires with the common return.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What will be the ground point?
Like If i am testing S1 then one wire of multimeter will connect to point no 17 of ECU Connector and where will the other wire of multimeter connect?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: No continuity on all Switches S1,S2,S3, and S4.
Even there was no continuity between pin 19 and all the points of connector of ECU and the transfer motor is also not working now,i applied voltage across pin 1 and 2 (CCW) and pin 25 and 26 (CW) but there was no movement this time as it was couple of days back when i refitted the motor after greasing.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Pin 19 is the common return for those 4 switches, nothing else, so you wouldn't get anything on any other pins other than the 4 switch wires.

I don't think your going to turn the motor like that (i know it appears to say that, initially) but it's the ecu that does the reverse polarity, pin 1/2 and pin 25/26 are the same wires, doubled up at the ecu for current draw reasons.

Across 1/2 AND 25/26 would get it shift, though initially which way i've no idea and thats the reason I've never applied voltage to the motor.

It seems to suggest a break in the wiring, or it's between microswitches (as it were) but it seems odd (too odd) that no 'mode' at all on the table has all 4 switches with no continuity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i was trying again to move the transfer motor,this time with gear leaver but strangely it is not working now.when i had removed the motor it some times use to get stuck when i use to apply voltage to the motor (removed from the gear) even after greasing i dont remmember CW or CCW but only on one end of rotation.i dont know why it was like this,i doubt it may have stuck on the same side again.i will update if i get a chance to remove the motor tomorrow as it is almost 10pm here

The micro switches should show continuity it is also indeed strange will try to get continuity test on pin no 19 from ECU connector to the switches.Micro switches are sealed i guess? but lets see if tomorrow i find a wire break behind the seal if not i think it is possible to break into the seal?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Transfer motor is stuck again.It gets stuck almost every time even removed from the gear,I cannot find anything strange in its mechanism except the plastic piece has a cut.here are the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your car is shifting at higher revs as it isn't recieving a low or high range message from the tranfer ecu. That happened to mine when I had that ecu unplugged. Returned to normall as soon as the transfer case problem was fixed.
The split in the white ferrul is supposed to be there.

The screw on the cog forms a stop on the housing body doesn't it? The ecu isn't pusing into this stop thinking it needs to go further is it?

I found it easier to check for continuity of the xyz switch with it sitting on the bench, that way I could move it through its degrees and make sure the switches are all correct.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes i can get continuty on three switches by rotating the microswitch at a particular position but when i attach the motor with the gear and switch it ON the motor gets stuck to the one end of rotation and the allignment at which i get continuty at three switches goes away.I have to hammer the cog to remove the parts and allign them again to get the motor in working condition.If i power the motor directly (removed from gear) even then it gets stuck on one end of rotation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your car is shifting at higher revs as it isn't recieving a low or high range message from the tranfer ecu. That happened to mine when I had that ecu unplugged. Returned to normall as soon as the transfer case problem was fixed.
The split in the white ferrul is supposed to be there.

The screw on the cog forms a stop on the housing body doesn't it? The ecu isn't pusing into this stop thinking it needs to go further is it?

I found it easier to check for continuity of the xyz switch with it sitting on the bench, that way I could move it through its degrees and make sure the switches are all correct.
Yes my car is shifting at higher RPM's like its in sports mode and fuel consumpsion is high i use to get more than 6km per liter and now its like 4kmpl.

Yes that screw is there to stop the motor and i too think that the ecu is not telling the motor to stop at that point.I was not getting any continuity at the 4 micro switches from the ECU connector but when i removed it and rotated the micro switches i got that high mode reading (continuity at three points except one).I was unable to attach the motor with the gear like this i had to rotate the gear a little and also the motor to adjust the triangle,do you think that made any thing wrong?

I checked the micro switches while the motor was removed and i got that high range reading at a particular point dont know about the rest of the points as i dindnt had that table but by rotaing the micro switches the continuity use to change from three points to two ect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts