RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car suffered intermittent starting problems when hot. Finally it gave up and would not start at all. It went in for repair while on Holiday in France and had a replacement injector.

The car is an 03 3.0l Diesel Vogue.

Now the car runs fine but on starting I get the following messages flash up. Select Neutral. (This flashes up as soon as I start with the car in park). As soon as I select Drive I get "Slow Down" even before moving off.

I have searched the forum and whilst others have also had this issue no one has come back with the solution in their case.

After browsing other posts my initial suspicion is that the battery is too low after the prolonged cranking to try and get the car to start. I do not know how old the Battery is but suspect it is the one fitted from new. A quick check the car is sat at 11.5 volts, with the engine running 13.5 volts at the battery at idle. I have yet to try the other suggested voltage tests.

Has anyone had the problem and resloved it or any thoughts around my suspicions.

Regards

Lee D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doh!

And the other crucial fact.... It allow me to select Low range either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sussed it out! :D

My French friends had placed fuse 37 in to the fuse pannel.... not a problem and reassuring the non Landrover garage even knew it needed to be done (unlike me!). This shuts down the 4x4 and transferbox for towing. Fact I've driven it 600 miles towing a 1800kg caravan is a little concerning but now the fuse has been removed and placed in a safe place the car has lost the error codes and will go in to low box and back to high with no issues.
Only issue being they left it in. Mrs D drove the motor back to the camp site so I didn't see the error but would still have attributed it to a low battery due to the cranking anyway. Still all is well and on this occasion the error isn't due to the battery being low. I need to check on another multimeter for the voltages.

Phew!

And yes I found the answer by searching various words here till silly o'clock in the morning so thanks to all the contributors here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love it to bits. Its the BMW lump. 3.0l Sounds sweet like a straight six should. It pulls really well and flicked in to sport mode is way quick enough for me. It pulls our caravan like its not there and towed it up to 7500 ft

just a couple of weeks back no problem.

Towing our Twin axle caravan which probably weighs in at around 1800kgs loaded it returns 18.4 mpg(uk gallons!) at around a constant 65 mph over around 400 miles. Normal pootling about the computer seems to settle at around 23 mpg mixed town with the odd motorway run. And on a purely motorway run solo it will return 34mpg with the air con off and feathering the throttle but 29mpg if driven "normally" :twisted: with the aircon on.

I'm really happy with it and past Landrovers include

101FC Ambi 3.5 V8
3.9 V8 Disco ES on LPG
3.5 V8 RRC
2.5 TD RRC

It tops them all. Newer ones may be a further improvement but this will keep me happy for quite a few years to come!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Hi Lee_D

I’m confused :? (no change there, then!)

I understand that when our RRs need a ‘all-four-wheels-on-the-ground’ tow/recovery a 5A fuse needs to be placed in the (normally empty) fuse position 37 and this places the transfer box in neutral (rather than low or high range).

Are you saying that when your RR went sick in France the garage needed to tow your car so they (correctly) placed a fuse in position 37 but then after they’d fixed the car & returned it to you they forgot to remove the fuse and you somehow managed to drive around in your RR for several hundred miles with fuse 37 still in place?

Phil

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep , you got it.

I won't pretend to understand the full effect but I suspect and I'm sure someone will pop along and give an enlightened input shortly that it disconnects the transferbox from the autobox. I also suspect that the "system" only becomes fully active and thus disconnecting the auto box from the transferbox so it isn't trying to spin up once the main selector is in "neutral", otherwise I shouldn't have been able to drive it.

Either that or my RRIII has "issues" :pray:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts