RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please!

My P38 gives 'select neutral' when I start it. It was intermittent and gradually got worse. at the same time the indicators stop 'clinking'. I haven't used Low for over a year, so it's not that i've been clunking it around from High to Low.
It's been to four different places now and no-one can fix it! :( At one (really good) place they checked it mechanically, took gear things to pieces, cleaned them, replaced ECUs etc, the message would go away, and then by next morning it would be back.
Now I've had an electrics expert look at it and he wants to give up, suggesting it's the transfer box, but the other guys already tried that. So, before we go any further, could it be programmed or fixed so that it was permanently in High, is that possible and would that stop the fault?

Thank you, Caroline

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I'm afraid I know nothing about cars, I'll ring the electrics guy in the morning and ask him thank you. I believe so though.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
The BECM doesn't hold any fault codes, and the Transfer case ECU doesn't store fault codes either.

There seem to be a few of these going around at the moment in the run up to winter, and the thing that actually needs testing are the position indicator switches on the transfer case motor itself as these are used by the ECU to determine what range the vehicle is actually in, or if it is between ranges.

The other thing that may need testing is the range change microswitch in the actual 'H' gate itself, as if this is faulty and it's 'signalling' for a range change (even though the gear shifter and you aren't) then you will get a 'Select Neutral' message on the dash aswell, as it thinks you are wanting to change range, though the vehicle is not in neutral to do it, or the speed is too high.

Hope this helps,
Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts