RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the select neutral message along with slow 20 mph max on the dash.My car's a manual gearbox still on airbags but with the EAS ecu disconnected and four manual inflation valves under the bonnet.It did also have the max speed 35 mph message but i connected 1 and 25 and 7 and 18 on the ecu connector which removed that.
I'm not that bothered about the dash messages but does the select neutral message mean that my car was an automatic originally ?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Not necessarily. You still need to select neutral if you are changing ratios from high to low in the transfer box. It is when you try to change and it isn't in neutral you get that message. On a manual, you change ratios with a pushbutton on the dash, have you pressed that while it was in gear at any time?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Slow-20mph max message means that your EAS ECU thinks that the suspension is at crawl height as you are driving.
Select Neutral message- as Gilbertd says:
neutral.JPG

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks.I've never had it in low ratio but i know the button you mean.I was familiar with the select neutral message on the automatic but not on the manual.The car is driving fine so i'll just leave it as it is.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
EVERY P38 owner should be cycling from hi to lo every few months to keep the motor freed up and ensure operation should it be needed. Here in the shop the number one reason for failed or partially operational range changes is lack of use.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
You never know, although you don't plan on having need for low range, one day you may need it so it's good to know that it will work if that day ever comes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't fixed it but i've found a way around it.If i put it into gear before i put the key in,depress the clutch pedal and then start it the message appears for a few seconds then goes away once i start driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts