RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Select Neutral" displays on instrument cluster at start up.

At start up, the message LCD displays "Select Neutral (vehicle is in park), if I shift it into Drive (no noises or clunking), I get a "Slow Down" display. Vehicle shifts fine, but does not shift into Low Range. Vehicle drives fine and runs through all gears. I have search the forum and have seen potential areas of issues being the transfer case motor, ECU issues, fuses, etc. Getting no codes for the transmission or motor. I recently had the battery disconnected for over a week. It has killed 2 batteries in the past few months and seems to have a parasitic draw. I disconnected the battery to avoid having to replace it again until I had time to work on it to find the problem. I think it is somehow related to having the battery disconnected for over a week, but I have no proof, just coincidence. Fuses seems to all be fine as well. They tested fine across points with a meter. The error messages I do get (unrelated to trans or motor) are "50 CAN Bus FailureCurrently not present", "005A Brief power interruption Currently not present"(under ABS/DSC area). My thought was to go back over fuses again, but perhaps to disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if it corrects itself (not likely). I also did the "lock to lock" with the steering wheel to reset the air suspension system, but it has no effect on the issue.

2003 RR 4.4L Petrol

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
Re: "Select Neutral" displays on instrument cluster at start

I would shift it in and out of low ratio a few times.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts

Is it possibly the switch? Tried spraying it with some contact cleaner? They put those switches in a real dumb location!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Is it possibly the switch? Tried spraying it with some contact cleaner? They put those switches in a real dumb location!
’I actually replaced the entire switch assembly about a year ago. Even a faulty switch would not likely cause the dash to display “select neutral” and display to two triangle icons on either side of the display. As soon as the vehicle begins to move the display changes to “slow down”. Will check fuses tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The problem has been corrected. In researching for information on the Neutral Transfer Switch, I came across a means of resetting it that corrected the same/similar issue with others. It was posted by RRPhil and it worked for me, so I wanted to cross post the means of correcting the issue here for others as well.
ShiftMotorCalibration.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts

The problem has been corrected. In researching for information on the Neutral Transfer Switch, I came across a means of resetting it that corrected the same/similar issue with others. It was posted by RRPhil and it worked for me, so I wanted to cross post the means of correcting the issue here for others as well.
View attachment 252449
Thanks for this information , mine is doing the exact same , will give this reset a try , many thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts