RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have just replaced the two belts (main serpentine belt and AC belt) on my L322 3.0TD6 Range Rover, along with all the tensioners, pulleys and idlers for good measure and came across a problem that i couldn't find a solution to online. With that in mind i wanted to share my experience to hopefully help others as i understand its quite a common problem.

The A/C belt pulley arm (not tensioner unit attached to it at the rear) i found to be seized solid in its housing. The arm, which has the pulley wheel attached to it, should pivot in its casing and be kept under tension by the tensioner unit to the rear of the housing. Mine as i say was seized rigid, no movement at all.

After a lot of WD40 and breaker bar leverage it started to move but was very stiff and still nowhere near being loose enough to slide out of the housing (having disconnected it from the tensioner at the rear first of course!). This was literally hours later by the way so i gave it a real good go and even left it overnight with WD40 everywhere to no avail.

Not wanting to use traditional heat on it (given the oil residue around the engine and copious amounts of WD40!) i thought as a last gasp, before giving in, would be to try hot water on it. 4 kettles later, having directed the water all over the housing via a piece of hose pipe and funnel from above (ie via the top of the engine bay) the arm became loose enough to gently knock out with a hammer from behind (access is pretty poor so careful use of hammer recommended).

Prior to reassembly using new parts i thoroughly cleaned the housing internally and drilled two 6mm holes through the casing into the housing that the pulley arm is posted through, and fitted two grease nipples. Having reassembled and caked the arm in marine grease all is working perfectly. The grease nipples will allow me to grease it every time i'm underneath the car to protect against water ingress and the inevitable seizing up that would otherwise follow.

I hope this helps others who may be planning the work but who may be unaware of the potential problems lurking deep within when half way through what would otherwise have been a very straightforward job..........as i was! I have heard others resort to removing the AC compressor which gives perfect access to the seized part but i really wanted to avoid de-gassing the AC system as well as all the additional de-assembly work required.

I will be posting a diagram of the serpentine belt routing shortly as this was something that I couldn't find for my car/engine anywhere. i found diagrams of every other belt route under the sun but not one for the 3.0TD6 BMW engine for some reason....
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top