RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any experience here is greatly appreciated. i have occasional water ingress in the left footwell on a nas lhd. it's really only in the driver's side, and maybe every now and then if it's raining torrentially, some drips into the passenger side. it also likes to occur at a drivethrough carwash and highway speed in rain when the air resistance is full bore. there's no coolant in it (ac works fine and i'm not loosing water), i was under the car this weekend and the drain next to the tranny isn't clogged (ac drain)...happens pretty much only when it rains severely.
my thought is the pollen filter covers but i've inspected and aligned and remounted them several times. i do note there seems to be a small amount of gasket material around the edge of the filter covers. maybe this seal gets fried and dries out? maybe i could just put a sealing compuound like hylomar around the edges next time they're off and see if that works?
it drips in from the bulkhead at the top behind the pedals. is there something else that collects water or may be obstructed doing this? it's only an annoyance at this stage but there's nothing cool about mildew flourishing in your carpets...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same thing going on. Water pours into the left footwell area above the foot rest. This occurs following a rain and when I make a sharp turn. I suspect it is the sunroof drain tube, but haven't had a chance to crawl under and look. The drain tube is supposedly near the front mud flap. As a side note, my sunroof used to make a gurgling sound after a rain shower but I've noted that that familiar sound has been absent for a while.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's the exact situation. gotta check the sunroof drain tube i guess...

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Another spot to check is the cowling gasket for the cruise vauum hose. I would get an occasional drip and found a nice crack and chunk missing out of it. A bit of black ATV and not a drip in over two years now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it is not uncomon for the bonding of the windscreen to the body to seperate as you state your leaks happen when it rains or in car wash i would look at this area

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a similar problem. Ruled out the windshield since it was newly replaced. I used a light bead of clear 100% silicone caulking around the perimeter of the pollen filter cover, as the gasket was dry rotted. I applied the caulk to the cover, then carefully fitted it, (making sure i had thoroughly cleaned the mating surfaces - i did keep the old gasket in place but wiped it off real good) and tightened the screws.

Problem solved. Well, at least until it's time to replace the pollen filter, then have to do it again. Cutting a new rubber gasket would probably better in the long run.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My truck leaked on the footrest for two seperate reasons, driving on hot humid days and standing still in pouring rain. The driving issue was the AC condensation drains were clogged (same issue with my classic), I could actually here the water running from the condensor chamber to the blower chamber on hard right hand turns. To fix this I removed the drains and cut away some of the rubber. The standing still in the pouring rain was a loose screw mount for the front plenum panel screw, I flooded the area with silicone and it stopped leaking.

Remove your pollen filters and reach upwards inside the chamber if your fingers get wet it probably not the cover and something similar to mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys! i will investigate all suggestions and report back.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
thanks for the input guys! i will investigate all suggestions and report back.
Same problem here. I ordered some new pollen filter cover to see.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's my first day off in weeks. i'm going in to investigate today. i think my good friends the plenum panels under the windscreen are getting the first look.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forgot about this thread but if anyone cared, the problem appears to be solved. crawled under the vehicle to check the drains on either side of the tranny with a wire hanger. drivers side perfectly clear. passenger side was a different story. one gentle poke with the hanger and sediment and water came pouring out. looked as clean as could be from the outside, chock full of sand and water on the inside...:naughty:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fixed mine by putting silver AC/HV tape over the pollen filter holes and then screwing the covers back on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts