RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in USA. I bought a 2005 RR L322 off Copart auction for cheap. It was $375 but with the broker fee, copart fee, all kinds of fees, it ended up $1436. It has 125K mileage on it. It has a BMW M62 4.4L engine with a 5HP24 transmission as you all know.
So, troubleshooting began. There is no check engine light on dash or scanned (using a Launch X431) on the engine and transmission modules. Then I noticed that the starter was removed and in the trunk. I tested the starter. It was spinning. Then I tried to hand-crank the engine after removing the fan clutch (special tool but cheap but still was not easy but I did it). Engine did not turn. Conclusion was that they removed the starter and found it working and concluded the engine has seized and stopped there. Then I removed the spark plugs (and spraying WD40 which might not have helped) and wiggled the crankshaft back and forth by brutal force and eventually got it free. (However, I did notice a lot of metal cracking noise from either engine or transmission or torque converter.) After a few dozens turn by hand cranking and engine finally turns freely (clockwise). Then I put back all spark plugs and the starter (****, that was tight space there, the shield did not help either), I was available to start the engine but I continued to hear metal cracking noise randomly. At that time, I was able to shift to D and R. The car moved. I did not take it out for a drive around thou. I did notice when I shifted, the engine speed dropped down a lot and sometimes died. Also, I continued to hear metal noise while I revved up the engine.
Next day, I decided to change the engine oil and transmission filter + oil because I wanted to see if there is any metal pieces or shaving in the pans. Engine oil was black anyway. No shaving in the engine oil pan. But there is quite a lot of metal shavings on the magnets and around in the transmission pan:

Moving on, I put everything back and started the engine. Oil changes did not help and I continued to hear metal cracking noise and now the engine seems to die because of something in the torque converter dragging it or locking it up. Whole time there was no CEL. Not knowing what I could do next, I have stopped here.

I have a feeling the torque converter has broken fins on its turbine and initially locked up the engine. I, by brutal force, broke it free and the loose pieces continued to damage inside while I revved up the engine, to the extent that now the engine could not keep idling and has still a lot of metal cracking noise when I run it. What should I do next? The metal shavings (or pieces) should have gone into the transmission by now and the torque converter need to be replaced and the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced?
I am a DIYer and quite equipped and enjoy bringing this car back to life. If this is kept under $1500 USD, it might still be worth it. Afterall, the engine has a lot of oil leaks. I believe the valve cover gasket, PCV, chain guide cover gasket and God knows what still need to be repaired after this.

Or just sell the car for parts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take pictures of the entire car. I will gladly cover your costs by purchasing anything besides the engine or transmission.
I am interested in tires, running boards, side view mirrors, center console and interior items
Hoods and side vents. Bumpers front and rear.
Navigation unit. Doors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tedxenos, where are you? I might sell the car if anyone locally near pays me $2k. It will have clean title because it was only mechanical problem and there will not be any DMV past dues. But I really want to fix it by DIY thou.

IMG_20200120_103641.jpg

IMG_20200120_103626.jpg

IMG_20200120_103618.jpg

IMG_20200120_103607.jpg

IMG_20200120_103556.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Queens NY
I just got mine recently and need to check it out on and off the road before I make my ultimate decision to fully overhaul.
Text me 7653609078

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NY. I don't see it is worth the shipping cost. Thanks anyway.

Back to trying to fix it. I believe I need to replace the TC and rebuild/replace the tranny. If you have different opinion, please share. One local transmission rebuilder quoted $4500 for both TC and tranny. No thanks.
I have done a few engine and tranny swaps myself on smaller cars but nothing this big. I can get the used TC and tranny on ebay for about $1200. I will report back how it ends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shipping from where?
If I want to unload mine you can buy my engine tranny

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking for a ZF 5HP24 transmission. Would one from a BMW be the same as long as it is a ZF 5HP24?
And do I have to recalibrate the TCM after the transmission replacement?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I should have searched first.
The answer is no according to Legacy Vendor RRPhil on

Yes, out of the 27 variants of the 5HP24, only one will fit the L322 - model no. 1058 000 032.
Ding it. Could have gotten one for $400 ish.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
264 Posts
If the body is in good condition, and considering it only has 125k miles, I would think it would be worth fixing. I would not worry about a transfer case until you have a look inside but it does sound like you need a new transmission. If you put it in neutral will the engine run OK? If so you could check compression and a few other things before deciding to spend money on a transmission.
There is one on eBay for $899 with free shipping. Take the old one out yourself and get a garage to put in the replacement or do it all.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
Have you considered that the timing chain guides may have gone and jammed it somehow and you are actually hearing that flapping about? It’s very common especially at that mileage...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Compression tested all cylinders when plugs were out. They were about 140 to 160 psi.
At the beginning when the cracking noise was minimal (when the fins inside were not too much in pieces I guess), I could get the engine revving up and idle, the sound of the engine was actually ok so I believe and hope the engine is ok. So far no CEL. There is no sensor or anything electrical to detect the failure of a torque converter, am I right? I sure hope timing guide is not about to fail. I did not hear any "flapping" noise thou. Would a failing timing guide set off timing and trigger the CEL?
I scored a $500 2004 147K transmission, shipping included, on ebay. I also have an experienced and efficient mechanic who would do the swap for me for $500 but no warranty of course. I will get him the ATF and all the parts (rear crankshaft seal included in case it needs replacement.) At the end, if I have all the luck, it should be no more than $1200 for getting this car back to life. Crossing my finger. I will update.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
though.

DO NOT USE ATF!

In the 5HP-24 only use ZF Lifegard 5 fluid

most of all others will destroy the transmission

post a video of the sound

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Not Valvoline Maxlife ATF? According to my research, it is compatible. Lifeguard fluid is just a way they suck money out of me. I am refusing to spent couple hundred dollars just for the fluid.

I will try to do a video tomorrow. Too dark now.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,088 Posts
Just unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel and push it back away from the flywheel. Then start it (if you can keep the TC from touching the flywheel) and you'll be able to tell if its engine related or transmission related. Since it drops down in idle speed in gear it does sound like you have a transmission issue instead of an engine problem, but then we can't hear any noises it may be making or where they are coming from over the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the video of it starting and running for a few sec. It died when I let go the gas.

Transmission should be on the way to the shop so I will have to let them do the swap and cross my fingers.

(if you can keep the TC from touching the flywheel)
... Sounds dangerous to keep the TC from touching the flywheel.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,088 Posts
You can usually push the TC back about 1/2" from the flywheel, you just have to make sure it stays there and doesn't drift forward.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I must have missed something but if any engine dies when no throttle it sure seems like a bearing ( crank or rod(s) ) issue ( tight piston?) barring other things. I really hope not. Will be hoping for a good outcome for you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts