RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little curious on the security level of our cars.
In a bid to get my insurance dropped down, i was looking at adding the lojack service which they claim can track a vehicle if stolen or so. My friend suggested i dont waste my money on the service because cars with GPS can be tracked anywhere in the world via satellite since they already have the GPS installed from factory.

How true is this? And if true, are services such as lojack somewhat useless or just geared towards cars without factory GPS? Furthermore, if this is true, does it mean our cars or cars generally with factory GPS cannot be stolen? Or is my friend incorrect? Does something else need to be added/subsrcibed to (such as lojack) to make cars trackable when stolen?
Someone please enlighten me on this as am totally lost.
I have a 2006 sport by the way.
Thanks

olddog

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
not true with the GPS on the RRS. it can't communicate its position outward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My insurance said boomerang or Sherlock was mandatory.
My second car is insured with the same company and neither of the above is necessary even though it is more expensive.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The security level on 2010 RRS is nearly bulletproof. You can't steal it without the key.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phil. said:
not true with the GPS on the RRS. it can't communicate its position outward.
does that mean if our cars are stolen they cannot be tracked via GPS except if some 3rd party gps tracking software is installed?

The boss said:
The security level on 2010 RRS is nearly bulletproof. You can't steal it without the key.
how is it different from the previous years? what did they add?

also, does anyone have any experience with 3rd party gps tracking devices? did it noticeably bring down your insurance?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I don't have it in my RRS, but for my company vehicles we use a fantastic GPS tracking service by Navman Wireless. It did bring our business insurance premium down about 5% as an anti-theft device (not much), but the real value of these devices - for a business, anyway - are different than insurance premium savings, e.g. increased employee efficiency, which more than offsets its $50/month per-vehicle cost. :wink: I posted my "review" in the General Chatter a few months ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32415 - It's really a pretty awesome tracking service, especially now that it is interfaced with Google Street View and Maps.

AFAIK, the factory GPS receiver in the Sport is strictly for one-way communication, I don't believe it would be technically possible to remotely query it on its whereabouts.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
The boss said:

All I have to do is back a flat bed up too your RR, slide under with a hammer and knock the shifter out of park and I have it. No key needed.

Thats why you dont park on streets. :thumb:

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Is getting your cars stolen that frequent where you live?
We have insurance agencies and insure a lot of cars, both commercial and personal, throughout South Carolina. If 2 cars are stolen in a year, that's a lot.
Now we do have other problems, but stolen cars is not one of them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DrewT55 said:
We have insurance agencies and insure a lot of cars, both commercial and personal, throughout South Carolina. If 2 cars are stolen in a year, that's a lot.
not sure about that cause i have not researched it. Reason I inquire is cos when I was younger and much more naive i got a lot of tickets ( moving violations). Some have dropped off my record and some have not.This caused my insurance to be relatively higher than average given my record. In a bid to get my insurance down as much as possible, I found that adding more security to the car relatively causes the insurance to be reduced. That led me to the confusion on third party tracking like lojack and the gps in our cars.
Am still somewhat confused but think I get the picture......our cars do not come from factory with tracking devices except if the owner requests one or adds it independently.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
DrewT55 said:
Yee-hah, something bad NJ is not #1 in! Fyi, per this, Myrtle Beach is ranked pretty high, #21...

https://www.nicb.org/newsroom/nicb_campaigns/hot_spots/hot-spots-2009

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Yee-hah, something bad NJ is not #1 in! Fyi, per this, Myrtle Beach is ranked pretty high, #21...
I dont know much about Myrtle Beach. Most of the cars there are insured in other states. I guess the South Carolina car theives go to Mytle Beach and steal the tourist cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2010 range rover sport one of the first on the road. An no they Are not bullet proof my range rover was stolen from My drive just before the Xmas. Without the key. It has a keyless entry System an a tracker but neither of which worked for me. Upon speaking Land rover they said in reply that theives are Always 1 step ahead. But Even so in didn't except it to be that easy for the bastards. Upon further Research in discovered that you can buy a £40 device from eBay which Plugs into the cigarette lighter of any car an blocks out the tracker signal. Which I paid £1k to fit. Secondly once the car was stolen land rover are Not helpful at all. All nice an sweet, an make false statements that the car Is impossible to steal. Big NO if any one thinking of buying a land rover.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Any car can be stolen. Any "security" system can be disarmed. Any tracking system can be disabled in minutes. "Security" systems are these to keep the honest people honest. Tracking systems are there to catch the amateurs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts