RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally with the help of JJ on this site I was able to open rave and start studying it. I found that we have secondary air injection. Has anyone had to replace their pump. I ask because the tinny noise that comes just after start-up may be because the pump bearings are squealing but like the 2000 the pump runs for a short time and then shuts off (but I think longer than our 2000 which is 90 seconds max) I am on my 3rd used pump for the 2000. Can anyone confirm the symptoms of failure on the l322 sai pump. Many thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
R7 has advised that the SAI has been disabled on these bmw engines so I will have to look further for the rattling I have-unless the system was not disabled. Not yet sure if we even have the pump installed on ours but will have to get in there soon. I did see one of the idler pulleys wobble while running so that may be part of the noise I hear.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It 'should' have been disabled, but that is not to say absolutely that it was, or was done correctly. I have seen a few 03/04s come through long after they should have had this disabled with faults for it, and interrogation has shown that either the ECM was never updated, or that it was with incorrect(not up to date at the time) software.

There was never a stand alone delete of the system, but was included in new software that was a service action for the thermostat parameters.

There is a easily accessed vacuum solenoid on top of the intake that can be electrically unplugged, if it sets a fault code by doing this, then your system is still active.

Easiest way to tell if it is fitted with the system, even if disabled, is to look at the water pump. If there is a metal tube that runs across the front of the engine, right above the water pump pulley, then the components are installed on that engine.

As to your concern, will the noise only happen with the engine running, or can you make it continue/start with just ignition on?

There are several pulleys that I have seen fail, both bearings and plastic pulleys going out of round. Can you describe the noise a little more?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I just went and checked and there is no tube crossing above the pulley. There is a projecting boss on the water pump above the pulley which looks like it was a stand off for a clamp as it looks like it has a threaded hole in it. Ours is a Mar 04 build. The noise I hear\heard happens just after the engine starts. The starting motor seems to rattle as it disengages and then a new rattle starts a few seconds later. Now that temps are about 40F or more that sound is not as distinct as when it was 10 F. it was a rattle that sounds like a thin piece of metal flexing and I thought maybe the exh system but it really is more like a bearing rattling. I have noticed that the upper idler on the main tensioner has a bit of a wobble but when I put a wooden stick on the area and to my ear I hear something but not really like the grumble it is and the ac idler has a sound also which changes slightly when the compressor comes on but that does not seem to be it either. I guess the best thing to do is take the thing apart and check both idlers or just replace them as a service item and go from there.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
158 Posts
Dave, is this the vacuum connector( at tip of screwdriver) you are speaking of to test if SAI is still active?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
diff, without the tube across the motor, yours was not fitted with SAI. As to the noise, those 'only at startup for just a second' ones can get difficult, but generally speaking, they usually are more so oil pressure related, as after just a few seconds of running, you haven't changed enough to change much as far as a pulley/bearing goes, where as oil pressure that might have sunken down is easily restored quickly.

rph74, no, that is the filtered air inlet for the SAI pump, which is also a good indicator for the system being fitted or not. The vacuum line I am talking about is under the engine cover, near the top-center of the engine on the passenger's side of the intake manifold. It has a 2 pin electrical connector, and 2 vacuum lines going to it. Disconnecting the electrical connector to it, should set a fault code if the system is still enabled.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your confirmation on the sai. the noise I have has been more pronounced in the past couple of days and we are back around freezing temps. The rattle starts once the rattle from the starting motor stops. should it be noisy after disengaging and winding down. The noise does tend to quiet a bit after several minutes of run time but may also relate to the idle speed dropping when it warms a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts