RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo -

I'm in the process of swapping out some new-to-me seats from a 1994RRC into my 1991 RRC Great Divide. Seat pattern is the same, everything looks the same except one aspect of the wiring.

I've pulled out the old passenger seat and am about to install the replacement.

On my current seat, there's a big 8-prong plug connecting the controller to the motor assembly, plus a long three-wire, tri-prong connector that comes out across the cabin and connects to a port under the drivers seat. Assuming this is power.

On the new seat (purportedly from a 1994 RRC), the 8-prong connector looks the same, but there is not a 3-prong connector branching out. Instead, there's a two-prong wire, much shorter, that wouldn't reach over to the drivers side.

I'm currently cleaning out the cabin under the mats while I'm at it, and scratching my head figuring out how to move my seat control unit over (old seats came w/out controllers).

Question: What's the resolution for this two-prong/3-prong situation?

Any direction much appreciated.

Will post updates as I go.

Also since the "great" condition of this set of eBay seats isn't exactly great, I'm going to swap them in then pull the covers off my old seats and send them into L-Seat.com to have a pattern made. Some users here have had good results with them but I've only seen the later model seat pattern.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pics of the 2-prong connector from the new/1994 seats, and the 3-prong connector from the stock seats in the 1991

1994 new seats.jpg 1991 original RRC GDE seat plug 2.jpg 1991 original RRC GDE seat plug.jpg

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
if I'm not mistaken, the 93 has memory seats, the GD does not. the 93 has heated seats the GD does not. thus the difference in plugs and extra plugs.
you may need to retrofit the 93 seats with connectors from GD.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,480 Posts
if I'm not mistaken, the 93 has memory seats..
I thought only the ‘95s had mem seats? At least the only ones with leaky batteries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, update, after a minor freak-out after seeing the dozens of loose wires stickout out of the 1993 drivers seat, I realized that I could just unplug the whole memory harness and forget about it. I used the controllers from the 1991, which weren't actually that tough to swap over. I found using a big screwdriver to lever open the gap let me fish all the wires through, and they connected up to the conveniently labeled "D" driver and "P" passenger power leads under the driver seat.

And Eureka everything works - only minor snag is that the "recline" function is now reversed on both seats. I can definitely live with that.

The biggest part of the job ended up being addressing some surface rust in the footwells I found when I lifted up those soggy mats.

I ground out all the rust I could find, clean and dried it out and hit it with some white rustoleum for the time being. I am going to be going back into the footwells when I do this all over again with, hopefully, perfectly recovered original seat from LSeat.com.

What a dumb design - how do y'all recommend rehabbing the floor-wells? Por15, bedliner? Ideally I'd like to preserver some sort of soundproof damping. I dried out the passenger side mat with foam and re-installed. The drivers side had disintegrated. I'll keep an eye on the footwells for more water intrusion. IMG_3363.jpg

Planning on getting a full re-waxoyl treatment as well.

That two-prong connector must have been the heated seat element lead. Guess I need to hook it up to an aux battery to see if they work - anyone know if just any old 12v power source would work?

IMG_3372.jpg IMG_3371.jpg IMG_3383.jpg IMG_3376.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3390.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
12v will work, I’ve even used a 7.2 rc battery to move the power seats.

BTW, I replaced the factory mat w/ Dynamat & Dynapad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I replaced the factory mat w/ Dynamat & Dynapad.

Good to know. I'll look at ordering up a roll and using old disintegrating mats for templates.

On the battery power I was just looking to verify the heated seats work/don't work. I'll keep a fire extinguisher handy and try a spare 12v motorcycle battery...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Good to know. I'll look at ordering up a roll and using old disintegrating mats for templates.

On the battery power I was just looking to verify the heated seats work/don't work. I'll keep a fire extinguisher handy and try a spare 12v motorcycle battery...
Heated seats in the RRCs are notoriously short lived. Mine died after the first five years of life. I’m too afraid of damaging the Connolly, so I figured I’d replace with aftermarket if I need to reskin the seats.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I thought only the ‘95s had mem seats? At least the only ones with leaky batteries...

nyet mon amie, the start of the lwb in 93 introduced the wonderful memory driver's seat module.

on the heated seats, they are a set of push button switches, if you decide to wire them I would use a 30 amp relay and because they use
lots of power I would locate a circuit alive only with engine runing. i/e heated windshield or rear defrost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts