RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your are not alone I have no idea how the search function works... and yes it appears we lost the home pages.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Why do they feel the need to completely screw up a forum that has been successful for so many years??

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Because, in their own words, "to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you." I would have thought, as a mod, you would have at least known about it if not been consulted on your views. Had they shown a mock up of the appearance to any user of the forum, they would have known it wouldn't be welcomed. It wasn't broke so there was no need to fix it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
236 Posts
Ya' know if it weren't so utterly sad and pathetic it would be absolutely hilarious.
A true reflection of our times and how feeble the world has become.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I told them to shove their admin stuff where the sun doesnt shine. after some dizzy bint oop north treated me like a 5 yr old.
Nothing they do surprises me really. All they care about is the possible revenue they can pull in.
They basically made THE goto site for finding solutions, as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Ugh

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
But the way people are leaving in their droves, their revenue is going to plummet anyway. On the Community Feedback thread it's already been pointed out that by far and away the most popular forums are the P38 and L320 Sport ones, the ones inhabited by people that fix their own cars. But they seem to think there's more in it by concentrating on the newer models owned by people with lots of money even though they are unlikely to want or need a forum.

Reactions: jteuvonnen

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
All you need to do is look at the post count, along with newest posts, to see what are the most popular sections. Something that the owners can't wrap their heads around apparently.
And yes, when the membership goes down, so does the revenue. It turned from having abillboard on I80 in Chicago, to having one on some State Route in BFE Montana.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree entirely with RichardG - why "fix" it if it ain't broke ?

I have never, ever understood why people have to prick about with things that work very well as they are. There seems to be this constant desire by dumb-ass young techies to try to make things work in the way they want them to, whereas the owners of the website, or company, or any other entity should look at the customers and their demands and tell said techies to hoof off as they have no experience of the real world.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Your are not alone I have no idea how the search function works... and yes it appears we lost the home pages.
So where did all the troubleshooting pages from main page go?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you mean the P38 main page? This is what I see, same for the Classic page. Don't know about the others.
He means the old main page. The one that housed the P38 Guidebook, the guidebook that was carefully and artfully crafted with information gained from thousands of technical discussions that took place right here on this forum. Hundreds of owners contributed to it, whether they knew it or not. It covered almost everything that P38 owners new and old would need to know, like how to troubleshoot issues, modification information, repairs and everything in between. Information gained through years of trial and error. The guidebook that is now pretty much gone forever thanks to the new forum changes.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
This is what we are all looking for, the main page:

which gave you access to the Common Issues and Repairs so you could get to stuff like this:

and find out how to do things rather than having to ask the same questions over and over again before getting directed to these pages by someone. Even bookmarked links to take you directly to a specific job no longer work. This site was far more than just the forum, the forum was a later addition to supplement the main pages.

Reactions: kapilamuni

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is a Shame in some regards.

I float around occasionally but the complete revamp has made it a tad confusing, doesn't help that stuff has disappeared!

Oh well .

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
This is what we are all looking for, the main page:

View attachment 280666

which gave you access to the Common Issues and Repairs so you could get to stuff like this:

View attachment 280667

and find out how to do things rather than having to ask the same questions over and over again before getting directed to these pages by someone. Even bookmarked links to take you directly to a specific job no longer work. This site was far more than just the forum, the forum was a later addition to supplement the main pages.

It’s unbelievable that the main site is gone. That was by far and large one of the most useful automotive enthusiasts sites ever put up on the web. It is completely irreplaceable. That site was the reason I took the plunge into RRs in the first place.

The new model forums will become more active as they come down in price and get bought by enthusiasts, the L322/RRS forums use to only be Bluetooth issues and what color should I order questions but now have evolved into technical forums. The same will happen with the L405 forum over time. Unfortunately for the company that owns this forum it will take time for that to happen, the newest truck owners will never venture onto here and I don’t see the Evoque or Velar ever getting an enthusiasts following. At this rate this forum will become MySpace 2.0...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I found nearly all of it on the Wayback Machine, it is pretty much all there if you go and look. What you choose to do about preserving it for your own use, I'll leave to your imagination.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I lost the keys to my Wayback Machine. Could someone be so kind as to archive and re-post the guide book?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try this for a start. The archive contains different levels of material depending on the date of the capture. i.e. there is nothing to say that on any given trawl through every single page was captured, so if one gives you the dreaded 404, then choosing a different date might reveal it. In general terms I have found that most of the pages I'm interested in were there.

Wayback Machine

·
Registered
965 Posts
So, while mirrored information is still out there in the web out there, is it somehow possible to incorporate most of the information from the main page into the sticky section? Or, is it more an economic business decision where only the forum section was purchased by the new owner and other IPs weren't?

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
It depends on what they choose to keep. The rules of the site state that whenever you upload anything you automatically hand over copyright to RangeRovers.net. I suspect in most countries that is illegal as the author of anything owns the copyright unless he sells it to another party, often a publisher. Now they may try to claim that they are the publisher but they don't publish anything, they merely provide a platform where it can be displayed.

But, it seems they are trying (very trying) and think they have put the home pages back and called them a wiki (see https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/we-are-now-live-community-feedback.338022/page-5 from post #89 onwards). Shame they put back the odd pages that might be of interest to one or two prospective RR buyers, but not the stuff that we all want and need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts