RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to hold a decent seal on my replacement O rings. I've cleaned up the heater core area and the pipes of any rubbish from the old rings, but i still get a leak from the upper O ring. I currently am trying blue Hermetite which is a non setting oil resistant sealer.
Has anyone used a sealer they can recommend and is available in the UK?
Nigel
PS, fingers crossed its not a more serious problem like a hairline crack in the heater matrix area where the O rings fit.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
You shouldn't need any sealant save for a but of petroleum jelly to hold em in place while you slide the pipes in. It's easy to swap the pipes in error thus one will not seat 100%. Are you sure they are in the right order? IF so you might pull the core for inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I had one about a month ago that had a tiny pinhole in the top pipe,only leaked with the engine running,not static under pressure test.The hole was under the top of the clamp where you couldnt even see it with a mirror/torch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure i have the pipes in the right way. Just realised i am using Hylomar Universal Blue, not Hermetite Blue. I am testing using a Vacuum coolant filler rather than a pressure tester and its not holding vacuum. I ordered a pressure tester yesterday and hope it arrives soon so i can pressurise the system and get a better idea of where the leak is.
Being a RHD vehicle pulling the matrix out to inspect it is not going to be easy so i am trying everything i can to check it before i dive in and remove the dashboard. Is there a shortcut for RHD vehicles to get the matrix out?
Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
well I never found a way of getting the matrix out without cutting into lots of metal so just ended up removing the dash.

after several o-ring replacements and at one stage a burnt foot from very hot fluid, I eventually found a hirline crack in the plastic flange at the end of the matrix which only leaked under extreeme pressure and heat, so didnt show up when the car was cold and pressure tested.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it best to do a static pressure test dry or wet? If dry then i guess i use soapy water and look for bubbles.
If i have to go down the route of dash removal what precautions can i take with the electrics as i would assume i have to disconnect the battery and then what is the knock on effect when i reconnect and try to start up the engine etc?
Nigel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts