Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told the residual for 36 month, 12,000 miles a year lease is 57% for the SE and 54% for the HSE. Does anyone know why the base model has a higher residual? Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was told the residual for 36 month, 12,000 miles a year lease is 57% for the SE and 54% for the HSE. Does anyone know why the base model has a higher residual? Thanks.
That is true in Canada too. I think it might be because the "HSE" is considered a package when they build the car... Its like LR is saying that there is no resale value for things such as upgrades...

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is true in Canada too. I think it might be because the "HSE" is considered a package when they build the car... Its like LR is saying that there is no resale value for things such as upgrades...
Any idea of what it is for the SC and ATB? Some people around here thought the ATB would have the best resale value, given the exclusiveness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I leased a SC With dynamic package (custom ordered and not off the floor, ordered it in end of Feb. ,received it in end of April, it's my 3rd RRS , so dealer came through for me, before my current lease ended) 12K miles/ year, 39 month lease, the residual is 53 %...I simply love this truck..

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
The residual numbers on the SE v HSE make sense to me. Not exactly apples to apples but permit this as an example:

A few years ago I was shopping for a pre-owned Audi A4. A base model Audi A4 MSRPs at approximately $8,000 less than a fully optioned A4 "S-Line" ($32,000 versus $40,000)

Fast forward 4 years .... the base A4 is now worth $23,000. The A4 S-Line will have far more interest in the used market but it will only be worth $26,000/$27,000. (That's 71% retained value for the base model and 65% for the S Line)

Therefore, while the more expensive one will be worth more than a base model and will drum up more interest in the used market, it depreciates harder and as such will have a lower residual on paper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The residual numbers on the SE v HSE make sense to me. Not exactly apples to apples but permit this as an example:

A few years ago I was shopping for a pre-owned Audi A4. A base model Audi A4 MSRPs at approximately $8,000 less than a fully optioned A4 "S-Line" ($32,000 versus $40,000)

Fast forward 4 years .... the base A4 is now worth $23,000. The A4 S-Line will have far more interest in the used market but it will only be worth $26,000/$27,000. (That's 71% retained value for the base model and 65% for the S Line)

Therefore, while the more expensive one will be worth more than a base model and will drum up more interest in the used market, it depreciates harder and as such will have a lower residual on paper.
Speaking as a guy with a finance background - you could argue that the more expensive cars have lower retained value because secondary owners aren't willing to pay for the (overpriced) extras. I'd bet if you dropped the "regular" car (in this case, the A-series) down to the retained value % of the "fancier" car, it would sell just as quickly (if not faster).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts