RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This probably sounds dumb to those that know. Searched everywhere, but all questions end up relating to upgrading stereo's and using original buttons which i don't have. I have an '96 SE. Slowly getting bits sorted but these cars are a bit like painting the fourth bridge. My cruise packed up did all the normal checks and ended up following Rave and checked the steering wheel buttons, sure enough the set button on the left is not working. So removed switched tried cleaning the ribbon under the switches but still very intermittent. Ok so decided to fit a ribbon and switches. About 160 quid, i don't think so at the moment.
The decision is now to replace the steering wheel with another one with good switches. Reason is that i may as well upgrade to a steering wheel with stereo/audio control switches on it. Some nice ones for half the price of just a new loom.
So to not cut a long story short lol, is this a straight swop from SE 2 button steering wheel to an HSE 7 button steering wheel and will it all work on my original Clarion.
The loom/tape on my steering wheel goes to the stereo switch positions just no buttons. Hoping the rest is all there, or will i have to tell the BCM that i now have steering wheel audio controls.
Bit long winded for a simple question, but i'm bored and enjoy waffling. Anyone done this upgrade?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I can’t see why it shouldn’t be just a straight swap, I doubt very much if they made a different loom for 2 or 4 buttons on the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
The wiring is all there for all the switches although I doubt it will operate your stereo as it probably won't be connected at that end.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There no settings in the BECM for anything to do with audio.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I changed my all black leather steering wheel on my 2001 SE to a woodgrain steering wheel that came from an HSE. There was no issue, although on mine all the buttons were the same for each steering wheel. It's been a while but if I remember correctly the original steering wheel has hex nuts that held on the airbag and the wood grain had torx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts