RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a SD rack wind fairing for "Darkness" and I want to retain my (4) Hella roof top lights. Looks like the fairing mounts to the tabs intended for the lights. It only uses two of the four mounts. Anyone have a light setup with the fairing? If so pics? I saw a yellow Borego Edition that was trick going down the road and he had the fairing and the lights so I know there is a way to extend the brackets.

Just curious if anyone has done this and has a solution

Cheers!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Watching this post. I want to do this also. I pulled my fairing off to try to mount some lights, but OMG the noise is insane. I fabbed a mount to put two 7" lights on the brush guard, but of course more is better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Off Topic: Which hella lights do you have up top? I am going to get some for mine soon, and am trying to figure out which I want. I was going to go with the FF300 since they are slim, but I'm worried they wont have as good light output as regular round lights (like the 500 or the compact 4000). I dont know if bigger lights will look goofy up there or not.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
For the 1st time, i'm happy to have a L322 SD rack that is longer but allows fairing on top and lights under the fairing ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nickm347 said:
Off Topic: Which hella lights do you have up top? I am going to get some for mine soon, and am trying to figure out which I want. I was going to go with the FF300 since they are slim, but I'm worried they wont have as good light output as regular round lights (like the 500 or the compact 4000). I don't know if bigger lights will look goofy up there or not.
I have the Hella FF300 in "driving beam"....the light pattern is good, would be better if Hella had the "pencil beam" available for these lights. For the P38, I would stay away from the larger round lights, it just doesn't look right IMO. I have (4) FF300 with upgraded PIAA H3 Super white bulbs.

I am going to add a Hella work lamp to the back soon and wire a separate switch for setting up at night while camping

I looked at the setup with the fairing in place and it looks like a bracket could be extended from under the fairing and mount the lights out front of the fairing (I think this is how the RR that I saw had it set up)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
996TURBO said:
For the 1st time, I'm happy to have a L322 SD rack that is longer but allows fairing on top and lights under the fairing ;)
Do you have close up pics of the fairing with the lights? I realize its a MKIII rack but want to see the set up/

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
LR4Life said:
996TURBO said:
For the 1st time, I'm happy to have a L322 SD rack that is longer but allows fairing on top and lights under the fairing ;)
Do you have close up pics of the fairing with the lights? I realize its a MKIII rack but want to see the set up/
Fairing is in build up process but the lights are here

That's an old pic of the fairing

Do you guys think i should go black or clear polycarbonate fairing ? I think that the clear makes the rack less massive. :think:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I like the black. Wouldn't the clear poly end up turning yellow after awhile anyway?

And did you zip tie your lights on?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Yes, i zip tied those for test purpose only. I wanted to know how loud it will be with lights.

Without fairing, i had a dreaded noise at 80kmh. Curiously with the lights mounted, the noise come at 110kmh. :think:

Next WE, i'll wire those to test light pattern.

Those tiny lights are sold as driving lamp. I'm not sure if they will be very effective.

The Hella FF75 that i wanted to mount didn't go nicely under the bar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can use thick mesh screen and secure it to the rack behind the lights to cut the noise. i did this on my D2 SD rack and it made it nearly un-noticeable. I used bug screen for the front of an RV and double layered it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Tried my Hella FF75 this WE. I'll need to weld a bracket tab to the rack.

Tiny lights may go to the sides and the rear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts