RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my reservation in to order a 2019 HSE, but am having trouble deciding on the gas or diesel engine. My 2013 HSE is 5 years old now, and knocking on 120K miles. The NA V-8 is a sweet motor, but hasn't been offered since MY2013. So I am now really limited to the SCV6 gasser, or TD6 oil burner. SCV8 is overkill (can't believe I'm saying that) and too pricey.

The SCV6 seems to be a good, reliable mill with minimal maintenance issues, just like my current V8. However, the diesel would be my first choice if I could get comfortable with the reliability and maintenance concerns I have read about. To complicate matters, I spend a fair amount of time in the Chicago area each year. Fuel taxes in Illinois, and some other states, incentivize the use of biodiesel levels of 11% to 20%, or at least twice the manufacturer recommended max of 5%. This level of biodiesel has caused issues for engines from MB, BMW, and I hear, LR.

Any advice, comments, or first hand experience regarding reliability, maintenance or use of biofuel would be appreciated. I have owned a couple of MB diesels in the past, so understand the basics of special engine oil, adblue, fuel filters, etc.

Ed in ATL

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Go with the hybrid HSE.
Or, pick either, wait until delivery time and then pick up a leftover discounted '18 supercharged. you'll thank yourself.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Having come from a L322 V8 Jag motor, I drove both and felt the TD6 performed better than my old V8 and except for slight turbo lag was as good as the V6 for city, highway and spirited driving...While I would like just a little more out of the TD6, I would buy it again...

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've had every modern Range Rover engine and my favorite has been the TD6. I have had no reliability issues with mine, although it's only been 2.5 years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm on my 2nd TD6 ('16 & '17) and have not had one problem with the engine. Just ordered my '19. Maintenance wise, the only service I've done is the yearly on my '16, which was about $700. Found out a lot of this was replacing the ADBLUE DEF, which I hadn't even inquired about whether I could do myself. I'm not quite at a year yet with my '17 but the only "messages" I've had were when my DEF got to within 1,500 miles. I purchased some ADBLUE DEF off of Amazon (4 bottles) and recently refilled with them...in under 15 minutes and with full office clothes on...never even got dirty. Last week I filled the tank with 78 miles left to go on the trip computer. I'd gone 617 miles with a mixture of Mountain and City driving and the 72 miles of expressway between the two. I love the sound and grunt of the diesel but the gas mileage is what makes the extra service costs worth it to me. These engines are rock solid.

I have my reservation in to order a 2019 HSE, but am having trouble deciding on the gas or diesel engine. My 2013 HSE is 5 years old now, and knocking on 120K miles. The NA V-8 is a sweet motor, but hasn't been offered since MY2013. So I am now really limited to the SCV6 gasser, or TD6 oil burner. SCV8 is overkill (can't believe I'm saying that) and too pricey.

The SCV6 seems to be a good, reliable mill with minimal maintenance issues, just like my current V8. However, the diesel would be my first choice if I could get comfortable with the reliability and maintenance concerns I have read about. To complicate matters, I spend a fair amount of time in the Chicago area each year. Fuel taxes in Illinois, and some other states, incentivize the use of biodiesel levels of 11% to 20%, or at least twice the manufacturer recommended max of 5%. This level of biodiesel has caused issues for engines from MB, BMW, and I hear, LR.

Any advice, comments, or first hand experience regarding reliability, maintenance or use of biofuel would be appreciated. I have owned a couple of MB diesels in the past, so understand the basics of special engine oil, adblue, fuel filters, etc.

Ed in ATL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the quick replies. Gives me some reassurance in going with the diesel. Hopefully the EPA won't hold up their release for MY2019, which has been their habit since dieselgate. The fact that these engines are going into the new F150 should help speed up the certification process.

The hybrid, as suggested, is an intriguing notion. However, this drivetrain brings along it's own unique set of issues including the notion of moving a 5000+ pound brick down the interstate at 80mph with a 4-banger. Probably adequate, but not much more. It would be a consideration if most of my driving consisted of commuting. The idea of a discounted 2018 SC is also attractive; however, the availability of Level 3 ADAS in 2019 really seals that deal for us. Lots of highway driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think since there have been no powertrain changes from '18-'19 we should be good. '18 actually wasn't much of a problem at all (Jan, 2018 deliveries). '17 really was the longest problem of all. I ordered mine mid-December, 2016 and didn't get it until late June, 2017. Build date was May 3, 2017.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think since there have been no powertrain changes from '18-'19 we should be good. '18 actually wasn't much of a problem at all (Jan, 2018 deliveries). '17 really was the longest problem of all. I ordered mine mid-December, 2016 and didn't get it until late June, 2017. Build date was May 3, 2017.
I suspect you are right; the diesel dustup is probably winding down, except for VW Group and Bosch.

I appreciate the feedback on your diesel experience. I have had similar reliability from the MB diesels I have owned, but I never owned one, or any other car, more than 3 years. The RR is a different story, I never get tired of it so long term experience is more important. Now just need to wait for my order slot to come up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go with the hybrid HSE.
Or, pick either, wait until delivery time and then pick up a leftover discounted '18 supercharged. you'll thank yourself.
Already big sales. Saw a 2018 SC, sticker $114,00 with an additional $7000 in dealer add ons selling for $107,000

·
Registered
254 Posts

Ed in ATL
I'm curious what you wound up purchasing. I was struggling with the question of the SCV6 or the Td6 and I have to say the SCV6 was smoother engine wise but I love the Td6 from low end torque and mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I ordered a V6SC, but decided to pass on it. So still driving my 2013 HSE V8, now with almost 133,000 miles on the clock. I spent the first year of ownership of this vehicle sorting out minor build issues. I don't really feel up to the challenge of going through this again with a new one. At least not until LR works through a few more of the software bugs. Of course that one ridiculously big repair bill could jump up to bite me at any time, which is the risk factor in waiting.

That said, I have procrastinated long enough that several alternatives have come to market, including Audi Q8, updated BMW X5, and MB GLE (soon). Will take a hard look at each of these before I make a decision. Traded an X5 which we hated on the RR, so not sure that is even an option unless they improved, a lot. The Q8 is compelling, modern, and comfortable but of questionable value. GLE will likely continue to be a competent but boring option; however the new engine and suspension system could change that. The RR is the best and favorite vehicle of the numerous Beemers, Benzs, and Porsches I have been fortunate enough to own. So a new RR is the obvious choice as a replacement, just wish there was that other engine option, a smooth, torquey inline 6. I certainly understand your choice of the Td6.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Coming out of the L322 V8 with 120K miles with very few major issues besides an Alternator, front wheel bearing assembly and then the O2 sensors started to go...and lastly throwing COPS codes...at that point I was ready for a new one...and the L405 is like no other RR before...and with 1.5 years and 15K miles I have had zero issues...yes some have had a few software bugs but nothing major...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Actually, I ordered a V6SC, but decided to pass on it. So still driving my 2013 HSE V8, now with almost 133,000 miles on the clock. I spent the first year of ownership of this vehicle sorting out minor build issues. I don't really feel up to the challenge of going through this again with a new one. At least not until LR works through a few more of the software bugs. Of course that one ridiculously big repair bill could jump up to bite me at any time, which is the risk factor in waiting.

That said, I have procrastinated long enough that several alternatives have come to market, including Audi Q8, updated BMW X5, and MB GLE (soon). Will take a hard look at each of these before I make a decision. Traded an X5 which we hated on the RR, so not sure that is even an option unless they improved, a lot. The Q8 is compelling, modern, and comfortable but of questionable value. GLE will likely continue to be a competent but boring option; however the new engine and suspension system could change that. The RR is the best and favorite vehicle of the numerous Beemers, Benzs, and Porsches I have been fortunate enough to own. So a new RR is the obvious choice as a replacement, just wish there was that other engine option, a smooth, torquey inline 6. I certainly understand your choice of the Td6.
Yup some good options are coming. I agree on the Q8 value--I have yet to see one on the road and looking at the Q8 forums, dealers are already discounting some which is surprising for a new luxury model.

I will plan to do what you have done--get the first year of the next RR and just drive it until it doesn't work any more. Rumors are LR is going to completely change the engine offerings so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
254 Posts

My 2015 X5 35d is pretty nice, the wife does not like the way it drives though, too sporty and bumpy for her taste. I do admit there is no comparison on quality, and mine is fully loaded with the luxury leather seats, dash, doors, etc. I like the X5 but prefer the L405 RR Td6. Now with the new gen X5, we'll see that seems to be a leap forward on fit and finish. I do understand your hesitation though. Good luck and let us know what you eventually wind up doing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts