RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

3 screws missing and 2 of the screws were seized solid and needed an impact driver to move them - then I realised if I prised really gently they eventually came out of the holes. So missing screws, missing plastic trim clips and missing threaded inserts.....
Also managed to clean the plenum of the mud and leaves and clean & lube the wiper mechanisms that were squeaking :thumb:

I have been searching for most of the day today online and I seem to have lost my Rave pdf soooooooo can any one help me with part numbers for the following please? I'm not lazy I seriously can't find any of these parts as I don't know what the parts brochure calls them!
Why do they make screws and fasteners out of mild rust & seize prone crap steel? Are there any stainless alternatives?

8 x small self tappers top of plenum/scuttle plastic
6 x large self tappers bottom of plenum/scuttle plastic
14 x plastic inserts for the self tappers
10 x plastic clips for the windscreen trim (that slide into the metal strip)

cheers all,
Hoppy

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Instead of purchasing genuine parts go your your local hardware store. The holes in the inserts are already there you do NOT need self tapping screws. Replace them all with stainless and seal them with quality silicone caulking. The inserts are available at any body supply house. On this side of the pond every well stock auto supply has them on the shelf. Whiles you are at it, ditch the foam filter in the scuttle. Reuse the frame and clips and replace with window screening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the info.
Pwood999 now I have the part numbers they are appearing hahahaha.

RRToadHall thanks. Our hardware/parts shops are getting rare these days. B&Q (Home Depot) and such like have pretty much wiped out the old iron mongers.

I'll get parts sourced today, cheers guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I'm going to replace those lokuts with rivnuts with a collar at some point. The X clips for the trim are obsolete everywhere so if anyone knows where to get the a bag of them from I'd be very obliged :dance:
Looks like our OEM trim clips are going the way of the dodo.
I have also sourced for £9-99 from Amazon 215 of various sizes, flanged black self tappers. At L/R prices per screw I've just saved my self about £630!! (My car has a real mix & match of self tappers all over. I'm trying to fit the correct sizes where they should be).

cheers,
Hoppy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Whiles you are at it, ditch the foam filter in the scuttle. Reuse the frame and clips and replace with window screening.
By window screening, do you mean the fine mesh that is used for screen doors and skeeter/fly mesh on opening windows?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts