RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was some discussion on similar issues from the 2018 but couldn't find specifically the issue we are having.

We are new to the RR family, purchasing a 2019 Sport HSE last October. Since that time, we have had intermittent issues with the dual screens. Intermittently one or both of the screens won't turn on when we start the car or some of the functions on the screen won't work (usually the camera system, sometimes the temperature controls). Usually if you turn the car completely off, open/close the door, and restart the car it works...occasionally like today, the cameras are still malfunctioning. We have been back and forth with the dealership on this, becoming extremely frustrated at times, and their response is always that this is an indication of a software update, and that this is normal and to bring it in (usually for a few days) for the update. They also said that we as soon as it starts malfunctioning, its the indication that a software update is needed. This is now the third or fourth time we have had to take it in for an update, however, we often wait a while before biting the bullet and calling because it happens so frequently. They keep promising that soon RR will release the ability to do wireless updates and we won't have to bring the car back and forth. This seems like a really strange way to show a needed software update and I am sure I am getting the run around, but its the only dealership in town and we are at a loss for how to get this resolved. If they are right and this is normal software updating issues, then fine, at least we know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the recommendation, I just submitted the issue. Do others have this frequent of temporary outages? We don't drive much (only 2500 miles so far since October) so miles/malfunction is pretty low. I know a lot of electronics means that there can be lots of small glitches. None have been a big hinderance and since we got an early 2019 model, we hoped it would just work its way out.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
160 Posts
We took delivery of a new 2018 V8 Sport in June of 2018 and like most other owners experienced multiple issues like the ones you describe. The dealer has performed 3 updates so far, the last one in June when we also added Apple Play, skipping many in between and each time leaving the vehicle overnight. We were told it takes 5-6 hours and sometimes the download fails at the very end and needs to be started over again. But, I believe we are now current and each update has performed better than the last so it has been well worth it. My understanding is the latest update is version 19 something, possibly depending on the vehicle options and reported issues. Be advised I have read that over the air updates can take multiple hours with the vehicle running so not sure I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know there was some discussion on similar issues from the 2018 but couldn't find specifically the issue we are having.

We are new to the RR family, purchasing a 2019 Sport HSE last October. Since that time, we have had intermittent issues with the dual screens. Intermittently one or both of the screens won't turn on when we start the car or some of the functions on the screen won't work (usually the camera system, sometimes the temperature controls). Usually if you turn the car completely off, open/close the door, and restart the car it works...occasionally like today, the cameras are still malfunctioning. We have been back and forth with the dealership on this, becoming extremely frustrated at times, and their response is always that this is an indication of a software update, and that this is normal and to bring it in (usually for a few days) for the update. They also said that we as soon as it starts malfunctioning, its the indication that a software update is needed. This is now the third or fourth time we have had to take it in for an update, however, we often wait a while before biting the bullet and calling because it happens so frequently. They keep promising that soon RR will release the ability to do wireless updates and we won't have to bring the car back and forth. This seems like a really strange way to show a needed software update and I am sure I am getting the run around, but its the only dealership in town and we are at a loss for how to get this resolved. If they are right and this is normal software updating issues, then fine, at least we know!
This cannot be stressed enough....You have to wait at least 30 seconds for everything to boot up before you touch anything, Do not take it out of park and do not try to touch radio or climate controls.

The system takes soooo long to boot and if you dont wait you will have problems with cameras, screens, radio and everything else. Even the transmission needs that time to get ready. I know this from experience I have had your problem as well as many others if I dont let it boot.

Try it out, see if it helps with your issues. I know it can be hard to get use to, never had a car like this before. I feel Like i am driving my old PC with Windows 1.0

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had the same issues with the infotainment since I took delivery of my SVR in July of 2018. For me however the blank screens usually happen after I've been driving for a while. the lower one just instantly goes black when I'm not even interacting with it and doesn't come back until being shut down for a while. Once or twice the upper screen also went black but that is rare. I've had at least 2 software updates done and each time it will be perfect for several weeks or months and then with more frequency start going black again. It doesn't make me angry but is a little frustrating because with the lower screen out I can't change any functions that are dependent on it. Climate dial will still work but with no indication of setting, etc. A few times the parking cameras didn't work and one time the reverse camera didn't come on and the parking sensors didn't beep and I almost hit a wall behind me because I'm so used them working and rely on it. So while they come back to life which is good, it's a bit disappointing that a $150k car has moments when I don't have access to all the settings. Otherwise it's just a fantastic vehicle and I still really love it. Just wish they could get it worked out once and for all.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
381 Posts
This cannot be stressed enough....You have to wait at least 30 seconds for everything to boot up before you touch anything, Do not take it out of park and do not try to touch radio or climate controls....

it's always a good idea to wait a minute of two after starting any car before driving off, as this gives the engine/transmission enough time for the oil/coolant to circulate around a bit.

I usually get in the car, start it, and then wait until the revs drop to normal idle before driving off. And of course, don't rev it too much until the engine has properly warmed up, which can take anything between 6-10km of driving.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I usually get in the car, start it, and then wait until the revs drop to normal idle before driving off.
This is exactly what everybody should do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts