RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well since a year ago my car makes occasionaly weird grinding noises coming from the gearbox area, while accelerating, while driving at constant speeds, while deceleratin,... the noise stops for a while when I press my throttle or brakes..
half a year ago a mechanic replaced my TC with a refurbished one... noise is still there.
after that he took a look at the gearbox inside, which looked fine.
now half a year later i notice a lot of scratches and little holes on the casing of my torque convertor.
does anyone know what is going on here??

67327723_878596889162817_3087434178417917952_n.jpg

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Well little scratches would not an issue neither would the dimples... I wouldn't call them "holes" because they are not leaking. Outside issues are not going to cause and issues. As torque converter does all it's transmission work internally and your transmission has the same issue as before I would venture a guess that the issue was misdiagnosed and it was not your Torque Converter at all. Are you sure it is your transmission making the noise or could it be your transfer case?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well we lifted the car with the wheels in the air and I drove it while some people underneath the car tried to locate the grinding noise. They said it came from the front transmission area.. so here the tc is located.
It looks like it's transmission related, on 4th or 5th gear the noise is constantly there only it dissapears for a few seconds when i press the brake or release throttle or give more throttle..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well little scratches would not an issue neither would the dimples... I wouldn't call them "holes" because they are not leaking. Outside issues are not going to cause and issues. As torque converter does all it's transmission work internally and your transmission has the same issue as before I would venture a guess that the issue was misdiagnosed and it was not your Torque Converter at all. Are you sure it is your transmission making the noise or could it be your transfer case?
well we lifted the car with the wheels in the air and I drove it while some people underneath the car tried to locate the grinding noise. They said it came from the front transmission area.. so here the tc is located.
It looks like it's transmission related, on 5th or 6th gear the noise is constantly there only it dissapears for a few seconds when i press the brake or release throttle or give more throttle..

edit: and it looks like it doesn't occur on +2500 rpm, so if i drive constant speed in 5th gear and the noise is there and i manually shift to 4th gear than no noise.. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts