RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So, weather is getting nicer so decided to take the truck in the car wash...bad idea. The track dinged my rear left rim pretty nasty and there's a huge scratch in it now. Anyone know the exact material the rims are made from and if there are any sort of products I could use to at least mask the scratch a little? I've got a 13 SC Limited with 20' wheels. I priced a new rim and that seems a little ridiculous for just a scratch, but wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with some sort of rim repair solution or just cleaning it really well.
Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Post a pic of your rim, I just found 2 perfect rims on Ebay for very good prices. Cost of a rim on Ebay is about 2 x what it will cost you to have it fixed at your local Alloy Wheel repair spot.

R

·
0 Posts
How deep is the scratch?

I actually used a little JB weld on my 911's winter wheels to fill in a patch of curb rash, scraped/sanded it flat, then bought a cheap thing of silver touch up paint from O'reilly's auto parts. Total cost was somewhere around $12 and it lasted over a year until I sold the car.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
Future TSB: Never EVER take your Rover through a car wash with tire tracks. They're not meant for performance aspect ratios (shorter sidewalls).

It'll mess them up every single time.

Filling in gouges/blending into existing wheel finishes is doable. Just google YouTube videos on how to repair scratched rims. It's something you can do to satisfactory results, if you have a bit of artist in you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to clean it yesterday to see if I could rub it out but really didn't have time. I assume the black is from that track at the car wash still. It seems this can probably for now be polished/buffed out with some sort of compound for alloy wheels. I'll post an update after I try to let you guys know how it looks. Thanks for all the replies! I might just try and plasti- dip them here in the near future for a bit of protection, plus I like the look of black wheels.

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
I tried to clean it yesterday to see if I could rub it out but really didn't have time. I assume the black is from that track at the car wash still. It seems this can probably for now be polished/buffed out with some sort of compound for alloy wheels. I'll post an update after I try to let you guys know how it looks. Thanks for all the replies! I might just try and plasti- dip them here in the near future for a bit of protection, plus I like the look of black wheels.
Do NOT attempt to polish/rub that out; it will damage the surrounding finish and look worse as a result. That black you see is not from the track (the tracks generally have white nylon guides). That black is a sub-layer to give depth to the hyper silver color above it.

Best thing to do is use an alumized body filler. Mask off surrounding finish within 1/4" of that damage; lightly (with 400 grit) scuff finish around and in that gouge, and fill it. Then sand flat, trying to blend filler into surround level.

Then it's best to use a hyper silver wheel paint that is a best match for your wheel. A number of manufacturers make hyper silver wheel paint. You can try to use a detail brush to control where that paint goes, and then use extremely fine (increasingly so) grades of sandpaper and wet sand that silver paint to flush with the surroundings.

THEN buff.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Future TSB: Never EVER take your Rover through a car wash with tire tracks. They're not meant for performance aspect ratios (shorter sidewalls).

I would say never take any vehicle you care about through those tracked car washes, or go anywhere except a wand wash really.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Man, if saw my rims you’d likely have a spasm! Do wheel it? A little character is all.:dance:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts