Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE with the 4.4 BMW engine in it, well the engine is screwed, 1 and 3 cylinder are badly scored and way beyond repair, so I'm wondering what my options are on replacements. I've been looking around and am finding quite a few low mileage BMW M62's out there out of X5's and 540i's, does anyone know apart from the pan configuration is there any problems with dropping one of these in.
or is there any other options, how hard is it to put the Jag engine in or will the mess with the BMW systems in the car.

if any one has any suggestions or recommendations of suppliers please let me know.

thank you

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
I depends on you budget, You might be able to get a good used engine for like $1,500 or so which is what it can cost you to re-line the chambers of the one you have, without the teardown cost that is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I depends on you budget, You might be able to get a good used engine for like $1,500 or so which is what it can cost you to re-line the chambers of the one you have, without the teardown cost that is.
What do you mean by re-line the chambers? I've been looking at range rover engines and they are all the 3k mark so as long as I don't need a lot of parts to convert I still might go that way

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went through the same issue as you. I would

1: Liquidate car at an auction or ebay
2: Buy a replacement engine and have it dropped in or buy a doner range rover and have the engine removed.

I spent over a year looking at different options and in the end should have just done it right away.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
These engines are made of aluminun block with steel liners. When I rebuilt my 3.9 thats what I did, Had a shop reline the block for $1,000 (6 years ago price).
Lots of work but it was fun for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was planning on having my engine re-sleeved, after I shipped it to a guy to have it re-sleeved he gave me a quote of about $5,000 to do it. He said I would be better of replacing the engine with another one....

These engines are made of aluminun block with steel liners. When I rebuilt my 3.9 thats what I did, Had a shop reline the block for $1,000 (6 years ago price).
Lots of work but it was fun for me.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
That's a LOT of Mulah!!!
Where do you live?

·
Registered
88 Posts
holy ****...is he lining them with gold or steel?
haven't had an engine resleeved in a long time but it doesn't cost anywhere near that. he's
definitely trying to bend you over and work the "its a rover engine" crap.
I cant imagine a 4.4L being any different than lining anything else.
same crank centerline, same cylinder access from removable heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts