Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I'm about ready to refit the heads to my block but only found time to the final prep this weekend; much to my surprise I found a couple of the cylinders with a load of water in them, not sure how it got in but presumably due to the storms we had last week. After blowing it out, I found that one of the cylinders had a fair bit of rust around the inside of the top half, and after trying to clean it with wd40 and a rag there's still quite a patina still on the surface - it feels quite rough to the touch.

Here's a couple of pics:

IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1513.jpg

This photo is looking up to the top of the cylinder at an angle, you can see that it only affects above the waterline.

So ... should I do something about it before putting the heads back on, eg 1200 grit wet & dry, or is it best well alone? Or does it need to be machined?

I'm kicking myself for not blocking the cylinders, but also surprised that so much rust could appear so quickly - it was only a few days, and the other cylinder which had water in it is fine - so is it possible that it was already pitted, or this is another deposit?

Cheers
John

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Rust will appear very quickly, just look at the brake discs on a car that has been left for a day after a rainstorm, but it's nothing to worry about. Clean the bores with your fine wet and dry (using it wet) and then wipe them down with an oil soaked rag. The wet and dry will be almost as good as a honing.......

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phew! Cheers Gilbert, I was having a not-so-funny feeling there :) I'll take a layer off this weekend, and try not to hone too much extra hp out of it `)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Just put some WD40 on some wet and dry and slightly rub it off. As long as there is no pitting you be OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts