RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably sounds silly, but after reading through pages and pages of forum posts over the last few days...I've realized that I'm now scared of my L322 ownership choice. 馃槀 After owning a P38, some years back, I decided to jump back into the RR arena. What I'm realizing now, is this is a truck best owned by true mechanics...and I am NOT that! I wanted something that me and my family could put on the road, for summer trips to the beach and up to the mountains, during the winter. Now, I'm afraid to even take this thing out of the city! I guess the only saving grace is, I plan to put an extended service contract on it next week. I may ride this RR until the contract expires, and then move on. But, oh how I love Range Rovers!! ;) It's a strange sickness. :LOL:

Registered
At the end of the day forums are stating the problems far more often than the good. After all, we are all here to share a wealth of information on our ownership and the solution to problems experienced. I would not be afraid to drive your rig but would strongly advise a solid extended warranty. That will give you the peace of mind and take away the fear of big repair bills that could leave you in a pinch.

I purchased my 12' Supercharged about 2 and a half years ago from the local Range Rover dealership that was a local trade - one owner car guy who took amazing care of it. It was incredibly low milage and I have kept a spread sheet of my ownership costs and after over 2 and a half years and 77k miles to date the car has taken $11,748 in maintenance and repairs. Luckily, I purchased an extended warranty which has covered all of the repairs and I of course out of pocket on the maintenance portion (be prepared to need brakes once a year).

These rigs can absolutely be your road trip beach and mountain vehicle (that is exactly what I use mine for and as a daily driver). If you take care of it with proper maintenance it should take care of you. Having that extended warranty will ensure you are covered for the air suspension and the timing chain. With the exception of those two systems its a pretty solid ride. We have had plenty of trips and it never skips a beat... the 510 hp of "passing" power isn't bad either...

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind, could you tell me which extended warranty you went with? I've looked into Infinite Auto Protection, Carchex and Concord Auto Protection. The 1st two quoted monthly payments arpund $275, for their best package. My MY12 only has 69.5k miles, so it qualified for the premium packages. The last company, Concord, doesn't do monthly. They quoted $2980 for their extended warranty. The dealership quoted me $6900. I decided to find my own. Not exactly sure who to go with though.

Registered
If you don't mind, could you tell me which extended warranty you went with? I've looked into Infinite Auto Protection, Carchex and Concord Auto Protection. The 1st two quoted monthly payments arpund $275, for their best package. My MY12 only has 69.5k miles, so it qualified for the premium packages. The last company, Concord, doesn't do monthly. They quoted $2980 for their extended warranty. The dealership quoted me $6900. I decided to find my own. Not exactly sure who to go with though.

I ended up getting the warranty through my Credit Union. Range Rover wanted a similar amount to add warranty to mine and I ended up comparing coverage with my SA of the two. He said go with the third party one. It is MRC Platinum coverage through CUNA Mutual. It cost about $3400 if I remember correctly for 48 months of coverage and an additional 60k miles. I attached the brochure below but keep in mind this was the brochure when I purchased it so it may not be current.

Registered
I ended up getting the warranty through my Credit Union. Range Rover wanted a similar amount to add warranty to mine and I ended up comparing coverage with my SA of the two. He said go with the third party one. It is MRC Platinum coverage through CUNA Mutual. It cost about $3400 if I remember correctly for 48 months of coverage and an additional 60k miles. I attached the brochure below but keep in mind this was the brochure when I purchased it so it may not be current.

View attachment 281170 View attachment 281171
And they have been good with the coverage / paying for repairs?

Registered
I know this probably sounds silly, but after reading through pages and pages of forum posts over the last few days...I've realized that I'm now scared of my L322 ownership choice. 馃槀 After owning a P38, some years back, I decided to jump back into the RR arena. What I'm realizing now, is this is a truck best owned by true mechanics...and I am NOT that! I wanted something that me and my family could put on the road, for summer trips to the beach and up to the mountains, during the winter. Now, I'm afraid to even take this thing out of the city! I guess the only saving grace is, I plan to put an extended service contract on it next week. I may ride this RR until the contract expires, and then move on. But, oh how I love Range Rovers!! ;) It's a strange sickness. :LOL:
Let us know if you wanna sell the beast?

Registered
I have some connections in the Auto Warranty industry in that I worked on a project for a friends business who ended up being purchased by the largest warranty company which will remain nameless here as I'm not interested in being sued. Let me assure you these are not the most honest people.

First off let me share with you Warranty companies operate as a business model with the intention of NOT paying for repair claims. For example cooling system pipes on later model L322s are not covered under "Cooling System" protection under warranties. This specific example is key as these fail and on often cause an entire engine to fail needing full replacement due to overheating. An extended warranty will not cover any of the above mentioned repairs in that scenario.

Warranty companies appeal to people who generally cannot afford the vehicle to begin with, hence why they're purchasing an extended warranty that isn't the LR warranty. Warranty companies know this and their coverages are written semantically in a way as to almost ensure you cannot dispute claims without a lawsuit, which again most warranty buyers cannot afford either.

Warranties also do not cover the basic services an L322 needs which can become costly.

Your best bet in all cases is to self warranty, it's more affordable and you ensure your money is used as intended. Set aside $3-5k the first 2 years for maintenance and issues.

EDIT: I put about $3k into mine at 66k miles back in March. We immediately did the supercharger coupler and associated parts and while in there did all the heating/cooling pipes which were ripe for failure. I did full fluid flushes and transmission service. Just recently threw new brake pads on at 68k miles (I don't drive it much).

That's what should expect to have to do the first couple years and is the bulk of service up to 75k miles.

Registered
Nollege76...what are the specs for your AB? Interior/exterior colors?

Registered
I have some connections in the Auto Warranty industry in that I worked on a project for a friends business who ended up being purchased by the largest warranty company which will remain nameless here as I'm not interested in being sued. Let me assure you these are not the most honest people.

First off let me share with you Warranty companies operate as a business model with the intention of NOT paying for repair claims. For example cooling system pipes on later model L322s are not covered under "Cooling System" protection under warranties. This specific example is key as these fail and on often cause an entire engine to fail needing full replacement due to overheating. An extended warranty will not cover any of the above mentioned repairs in that scenario.

Warranty companies appeal to people who generally cannot afford the vehicle to begin with, hence why they're purchasing an extended warranty that isn't the LR warranty. Warranty companies know this and their coverages are written semantically in a way as to almost ensure you cannot dispute claims without a lawsuit, which again most warranty buyers cannot afford either.

Warranties also do not cover the basic services an L322 needs which can become costly.

Your best bet in all cases is to self warranty, it's more affordable and you ensure your money is used as intended. Set aside $3-5k the first 2 years for maintenance and issues.

EDIT: I put about $3k into mine at 66k miles back in March. We immediately did the supercharger coupler and associated parts and while in there did all the heating/cooling pipes which were ripe for failure. I did full fluid flushes and transmission service. Just recently threw new brake pads on at 68k miles (I don't drive it much).

I can second this.

I own 3 land rovers and have been through several others over 16 years.

I also currently have a 2011 full size SC AND an extended warranty. The super Charger needed to be replaced at 88k and was rebuilt by the previous owner at 60k and it was replaced by the warranty company (CarShield/American auto shield). I鈥檝e paid $700 so far and it was a $3,300 repair. So I was the odd person to come at on top.

Now My injectors need to be replaced but the warranty company will not cover them because it鈥檚 not a complete failure of the injectors. They are very specific on what constitutes a failure.

I agree with datafool, by planning on setting aside $ for repairs. 5k is about right for these vehicles and is about what I鈥檓 in for after:

Injectors
Super charger
Spark plugs
All new hoses for SC

I also just put on new:
Tires
Brakes (plan on going through brakes!).

My Land Rover mechanic has been working on rovers exclusively for 25+ years and there is only a handful of typical problems with these vehicles. He even had a customer that bought a used one with 80k and wanted it 鈥渨orry free鈥. He spent 6k and had new injectors, SC, hoses, plugs, etc. he鈥檚 now 40k more without problems.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts