RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost aside, what's the difference in ride and handling?
Which one makes a better road trip car?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Re: Supercharged Full-Size (L405) vs. Supercharged Sport (L4

EAS has nothing to do with your engine being NA or SC the L405 is certainly the better road trip car when compared with the L494

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts

The L405 is the better road trip vehicle as far as comfort goes...regardless what engine you have in it. However, the L494 will do just fine on a road trip and I'm sure you will get better fuel economy with the L494...if you want to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Interesting (or perhaps, not at all interesting) is that the L494 and L405 have the same MPG ratings for the same engines.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts

Interesting (or perhaps, not at all interesting) is that the L494 and L405 have the same MPG ratings for the same engines.
Is that right...hmmmm...I was thinking that the L494 weighs much less than the L405 so it so should easily get better fuel economy. I would love to see them both tested with the same spec engine under the same driving conditions.

·
Registered
353 Posts

I'm often asked by friends what's the main difference between a Sport and Full Size.

The most simple answer, that most will understand is as follows.

Think BMW 5 series vs a 7 series
or
Mercedes E-Class to a S-Class.

To answer OP's question, which car would you rather be in for a road trip? A 5 series or a 7 series? E class or S class?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Personally, in my opinion, the “ Full size” is better for road trips, having said that, there isn’t that much difference in overall dimensions:
Range Rover 197” Long x 78” Wide x 72” High
Range Rover Sport 102” Long x 78” Wide x 71” High.

The Range Rover feels roomier inside and looks bigger than the sport but doesn’t corner as well.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts

Personally, in my opinion, the “ Full size” is better for road trips, having said that, there isn’t that much difference in overall dimensions:
Range Rover 197” Long x 78” Wide x 72” High
Range Rover Sport 102” Long x 78” Wide x 71” High.

The Range Rover feels roomier inside and looks bigger than the sport but doesn’t corner as well.
I don't know, a difference of 95" in length seems pretty substantial. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts

The Range Rover insulates the people inside from the world outside. Its job is to make the trip feel effortless, smooth, easy. My dog falls asleep in the trunk in no time. Driver and passenger can have a whisper conversation while going at 60 mph.
The Sport wants the driver's attention all the time. Oh and it wants everyone's attention, all the time. My dog doesn't like to travel in its trunk: it's too loud for her.

I love both. For roadtrips, there's no question, it's always the Range Rover.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts

95" is almost 8 feet. The full size Range Rover is really 8 feet longer than a RRS? That seem like it can't be right.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

haha!! That’s the Limo version

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

95" is almost 8 feet. The full size Range Rover is really 8 feet longer than a RRS? That seem like it can't be right.
‘The full size is 5” longer than the sport.

At at least we got a laugh out of it ;-)

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts

It was a joke. There was a typo in the dimensions he listed.....

·
Registered
746 Posts

I went through the same decision when I was getting my '14. It came down to the fact that I like the pistol-grip transmission shifter vs the knob. I also like the L494's steering wheel better.

In the '19 decision, I was able to get massage seats in the L494, so I decided to stick with the same decision. I think the L405 is quieter and more luxurious. I really don't need the extra room and enjoy flinging the car. I have taken many road trips on my '14 and no complaints, the seats are very comfortable. No long trips on the '19 yet, but feels like the new seats are even more comfy. Can't go wrong with either one. My decision on based on my preference for the L494 interior.

-ThinkMac-

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts

I went through the same decision when I was getting my '14. It came down to the fact that I like the pistol-grip transmission shifter vs the knob. I also like the L494's steering wheel better.

In the '19 decision, I was able to get massage seats in the L494, so I decided to stick with the same decision. I think the L405 is quieter and more luxurious. I really don't need the extra room and enjoy flinging the car. I have taken many road trips on my '14 and no complaints, the seats are very comfortable. No long trips on the '19 yet, but feels like the new seats are even more comfy. Can't go wrong with either one. My decision on based on my preference for the L494 interior.

-ThinkMac-

The shifter in the L494 is awesome! I'm still adjusting to the rotary knob shifter in the L405...Land Rover should have left that to Jaguar.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
50 Posts

Other than the add'l weight of the L405 (not even sure how much that is), and likely some added insulation, what else would make it so noticeably better? Given that they ride on the same frame, and am guessing same wheelbase, my sport in comfort mode is pretty darn spectacular on the few road trips we've been on. Just looking for clarification... as I think my wife and I now want an L405. Or as I like to call them, the big dog!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
5 Posts

FFRR looks and feels more elegant and expansive than the sport.

It has more leg room in the back and the seats are raised higher which makes it more comfortable for rear passengers.

You definitely must test drive one and decide if its for you or not.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts

the shape of the 405 makes it roomier, everywhere: the front, the back and the trunk, too. it'a bit taller and has the straight roof line. These make a big difference.
It drives a little bit different, too. And, then there's the split tailgate - with dog(s) in the trunk, it makes life 1000 times easier.

Why don't you go and try them one after the other, and see for yourself? As you can see from the thread, the choice is very personal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts