RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my town there is a black 96' P38 thats sitting unused in a parking lot in terrible shape. I stoped and talked to the owner today and he said he will sell it. Now if I can buy it cheap I will be interested. Its bad. It has 150,000miles on it but the tires are shot, paint is all faded, been converted to coils, seats are trashed, dash is peeling apart, headlinner is just nasty and so is the fuzzy pillar stuff, the a/c is shot, the lcd screen on the dash is faded and it has aftermarket rims t add insult to injury. :| The owner says it runs and drives and it has a new battery (well no worries then mate, it has a new battery :roll:)

So what do you think I should pay for this basket case and is it worth saving it from the scrappers? I have a feeling it will it there til it gets scrapped. I will buy it only if it runs good, shifts smooth, and will go into low range. I dont want a mechanical lemon, I can deal with electrical and cosmetic. I would have a picture but my BlackJack dosnt save pictures like a normal phone and wont save them unless you say too.

So guys, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking have the headlinner and seats redone on the cheap. Fix the a/c, and any mechanical kinks that matter. Trade off the ghettoass wheels for a factory set and get some new rubber/brakes. A $500 paint job. And put a better dash pad in it and drive it for a few years and then sell it. I want to kinda restore it and make it a DD the Classic has 230,000miles on it now nd I want to save it some miles. I might be able to get it for $500, idk, the guy selling it might not be in touch with the fact that its a pile of unsightly sh*t right now. :roll: Who know I will give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bet he says $2500 or more
lol probably.

If they are being unreasonable on the price, just walk. I would point out the various "flaws" and progressively lower the price. Personally, I would not spend more than $1000 for it. Unfortunately, I have seen a couple p38s like this at the university I attend. Really large chrome rims, but absolutely filthy and ill kept. I feel so bad for the poor things....I want to rescue them, but I have my own to take care of :( .

·
Registered
468 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Its bad. It has 150,000miles on it but the tires are shot, paint is all faded, been converted to coils, seats are trashed, dash is peeling apart, headlinner is just nasty and so is the fuzzy pillar stuff, the a/c is shot, the lcd screen on the dash is faded and it has aftermarket rims t add insult to injury.
:lol:

At least you won't have to fix the eas as well

G

·
0 Posts
These cars have very little collector value so you would not want your purchase price plus repairs to exceed current market value. A 96 with everything working is probably a $2000 to $2500 car. So can you buy and fix it for less than $2000? Probably not. It's most likely best to let that one go to the scrap yard.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a Rover its hard not to spend more thabn its book value in repairs I want to fix it up on the cheap. I wanted one with eas but you cant always get what you want.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Offer a stupid amount, Leo. The guy isn't likely going to find someone else if it is as bad as you describe. Go between 500 and 750US. At least then if it all falls apart after you buy it, you can earn it back by breaking it for parts, or using it for spares if you buy another p38.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
this is one case where the whole is worth less than the sum of it's parts. pay $500 for it, if it's too much trouble you can sell the engine for that...

·
Registered
518 Posts
shupack said:
this is one case where the whole is worth less than the sum of it's parts. pay $500 for it, if it's too much trouble you can sell the engine for that...
I tend to agree with Dennis on this one. Sounds like it might not be worth it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If It's that bad why not really push your luck and tell him if he gives You $500 you will take it away for him. :?

Cheers

·
Registered
494 Posts
he can't be paying insurance on that. if he is he should be paying you.
i've seen them like that too. saw one last week that was a sweet late 90's 4.6 and it broke my heart. :cry: destroyed doesn't even touch it. they literally broke off both indicator and wiper stalks on the steering column. seats devastated and i mean all of them. side steps bent to 45 degree angles. rear views broken off. wheels were spectacular though...
and they wouldn't let me rape it for parts. i hear it runs well and i could stock pile half an engine for a rainy day from it. surreal...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts