Range Rovers Forum banner

Saved myself 450 bucks today!

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Goinkin 
#1 ·
Bought a can of silver enamel spray paint and created my own Supercharged grille and vents. Super easy DIY that dresses up the exterior dramatically! Cheap enough that even if I had to respray it, it would be fine.

Put on 5 layers of silver with about 30 minutes in between each layer.

Here are a few pics:

Now letting the car sit in the garage to dry overnight. We're gonna have a wet day tomorrow so that will test it out and see if it's durable enough.

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks great, I'm trying it this weekend. Did you use automotive silver spray paint or just straight up "silver paint". Did you also clear coated.
Oh BTW, the wheels from your other post, did you buy them at the dealership?, I've been looking for those online to no avail, any leads? they look awesome. Hell the whole rig looks sweet, congrats!

Thanks in advance.

Rafa

#11 ·
rafa said:
Looks great, I'm trying it this weekend. Did you use automotive silver spray paint or just straight up "silver paint". Did you also clear coated.
Oh BTW, the wheels from your other post, did you buy them at the dealership?, I've been looking for those online to no avail, any leads? they look awesome. Hell the whole rig looks sweet, congrats!

Thanks in advance.

Rafa
I just used regular old rustoleum metallic silver spray paint. I did very light coats to make sure there is no run off or build up. I did not clear coat it. I figure if it starts to peel then I'll just buy new ones. It was raining like crazy in Houston yesterday and I had no problems.

I DID degrease the grilles with soap and water and let them thoroughly dry. As for the wheels, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time at the dealer and got them for a steal.

#12 ·
ET7 said:
your lucky cuz i want mine black like the body but have to go to a body shop for it.

for the handles and grill can't believe its 450 dollars for such a small job ><
Well for them to paint them like the body, they have to use very different paint. Very expensive paint. And they'll do a much better job than what I did in my garage :)

#18 ·
Goinkin said:
Bought a can of silver enamel spray paint and created my own Supercharged grille and vents. Super easy DIY that dresses up the exterior dramatically! Cheap enough that even if I had to respray it, it would be fine.

Put on 5 layers of silver with about 30 minutes in between each layer.

Here are a few pics:

Now letting the car sit in the garage to dry overnight. We're gonna have a wet day tomorrow so that will test it out and see if it's durable enough.

WOW man, Great job! :thumb: I was thinking of buying the S/C grill and side vent kit from Ebay, but I think I'll just try this when I get my RRS. I also wanted to get the S/C badge and replace the HSE. I seriously doubt I'll actually purchase a S/C RRS lol.

#19 ·
I did the same thing couple weeks ago and so happy about the result ,I may post pictures ,

just wondering what brand of the silver spray you used because I have purchased 2 so far and I am not getting the glossy silver look and how did you mask out the rest of the side vent ..the blades look painted really professionally .

#20 ·
shrek said:
I did the same thing couple weeks ago and so happy about the result ,I may post pictures ,

just wondering what brand of the silver spray you used because I have purchased 2 so far and I am not getting the glossy silver look and how did you mask out the rest of the side vent ..the blades look painted really professionally .
Rustoleum. Not really sure if it was anything special. I took the side vent apart. Once you do that, it's ridiculously easy to paint. Just pull the two tabs and it pops apart. Just clean it thoroughly.

#21 ·
I would strongly recommend that you put a satin clear coat over that silver - if you don't, you'll get bug stains on that grille very quickly that you'll find won't come out.

#22 ·
IMMensaMind said:
I would strongly recommend that you put a satin clear coat over that silver - if you don't, you'll get bug stains on that grille very quickly that you'll find won't come out.
Seven months of some of the worst bugs in history here in Houston and I haven't had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.