RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to take my range out for a nice drive today and noticed sort of a clicking noise coming from the engine. I figured it was just the lifters gaining oil pressure because it sat for so long. I went and ran some errands, got gas, and when I pulled into the garage I still noticed the noise while the engine powered down. I decided to pop the hood and start the engine. Long behold the fan and the pulley were wobbling and I could hear what sounded like metal on metal. :( . I turned the engine off and pushed the fan around and it wobbled on its axis, which I am sure is not normal. Love to get some input on how to replace it, even though it looks straight forward. And would also like this to be confirmed before I start throwing money at it like I did with the brake pump. Even though this time I'm sure that the pump is out :wink: . Thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
116 Posts
That happened to mine, I had the hood open when running and noticed fan had a wobble. Shut engine off and could move fan by hand.
waterpump bearing was bad . I had mine done at indy shop. warranty. so no tips on replacing waterpump.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine did the same over xmas ,when away on holiday.Had to have the RR recovered on a flat bed.The fan was so wobbly that it was lucky the Radiator wasnt damaged.As I was away from home had it replaced by an independant,.
Not a difficult job to do.The last time I did one on another vehicle,the bit that took the most time was scraping off the old gasket material from the front of the engine. :roll:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Waterpump replacement is quite simple. I would recommend a wire brush on a drill for gasket removal. It is speedy and eliminates the chance for gouging the aluminum. While you are in there change out the orings on the cam sensor and oil sender as these are frequent leak sources. THe extrta couple of dollars is well spent as the access is wide open with the water pump removed.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking around at pumps and there is a huge difference in price between aftermarket an OE. I really don't want to go the rebuilt route, but some of these aftermarket manufacturers look like they are making a good product. Has anyone had experience with an aftermarket pump, good or bad?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry to hear about your water pump.

Don't have any tips or recommendations, but I just wanted to say that when you get around fixing your water pump, hope you do one of your nice write ups. The one you did on the abs pump was really informative, and I think a lot of the guys here got a lot of pointers from it.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts