RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone professionally had a Plug & Play Sattelite radio installed? If so do you have any pictures to post?. I have a sirius sattelite sportster 4 currently installed with the standard car mount. I am looking to give it a permanent install but i'm looking for ideas for a location. I have searched the forum but cant find anything.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I installed a JVC head unit that has Sirius connectivity, and bought a Sirius plug-in box/antenna that plugs into the back of it. That box, I installed in my glove box.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not what you are looking for but somewhat on topic. I installed a Sportster 5 in the RR over the weekend. I used one of those adjustable vent clip devices to hold the dock and radio, then spiced in another 12v cig outlet behind the HVAC panel by removing the right side kickplate. I just tapped into the existing cig outlet 12v since I don't use that one - prefer to keep the ashtray door shut, I don't like things laying around the shifter or hvac controls.

Ran the 12v inside the kickpanel edge where it meets the padded dash. Tucked in nicely. Ran the antenna from the radio (the vent clip and radio are on the center stack, right side vent) along the same seam, then below the glovebox along the edge of the plastic tray that holds the extra antenna wiring nicely. Two sided tape and stuck the antenna on the front of the dash right next to the A pillar where it gets a clear shot at the sky (use the same method in all my cars and rarely get a signal loss - no need to run it outside the vehicle).

Since I have 4 cars with dock and 2 Sirius recievers, 2 home docks, and an boombox dock in my office, this way made the most sense for me.

The end result is a dock in a nice, visible position that doesn't interfere with your sightlines, and since it is a single occupancy vehicle 99% of the time the passenger won't miss that vent adjustment.

Took me about a half an hour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I experimented with the vent clips when i first put it in the truck. I hated it. The best spot for the radio with the stuff that comes with it is the windsheild mount. I am looking to install it around the shifter near the cig outlet. Sirius sells a proffesional install kit for $30 so you can directly wire the unit to the truck & directly plug the radio in to your existing. I know that some people have done install with there ipods. As you can see in the pics i already have both the sirius radio & a gps on the windsheild. I have already installed the antenna to the rear of the car. I hate wires laying around. I dont want to buy a whole new radio as I have a boat & take the radio from the truck to the baot.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of the final setup when done? As I need to instal one soon and was also thinking of the ashtray by the gearstick there.
Aynsley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts