Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a RRS that has the stealth package with the 508's. The stealth package comes with the satin black finish on the wheels.

I've noticed that the brake dust gets on them pretty heavily. Constant maintanence really...

Unfortunately my wife put some curb rash on the wheels. No biggie... I have wheel coverage. The problem is that the wheel repair shop stripped them down and reaplied the black powdercoat but in gloss black. The shop offered to fix it of course... but also asked if I wanted to change to gloss black free of charge.

Does anyone have gloss black wheels on their RRS? If so, what is the maintanence like? and... would you prefer a satin over a gloss or vice versa. Do you notice swirls and inperfections more on the gloss black? Just curious.

Any input would be helpful. Thx.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the same wheels as you. Will be switching to 20" style 5011 in gloss black for winter soon. We'll see. I find brake dust diminishes significantly as the mercury drops.

·
Registered
279 Posts
a picture of your particular rig would help with the answers. I find I prefer gloss black since it matches up to the gloss black trim pieces.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I am actually going to pick up my RRS today. Will have a full detail tomorrow and will f/u on this thread as I will have one side with satin and the other with gloss for a couple of weeks to determine the difference and choose which finish to go with.
The gloss definately has more pop and does match alot of the gloss black on the RRS. Hopefully maintanence will be easy.
Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just received my RRS back.
The gloss black looks amazing. It gives the RRS a show car feel and the gloss matches a lot of the outside black glossy trim.
Now let's see about maintanene.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Switch to ceramic pads and kiss brake dust goodbye. My gloss black wheels looks clean all week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im not super familiar with non Brembo options for ceramic pads but Im sure there are a few threads on the subject. Found these (https://goo.gl/bzzUsD) with a quick google search so theres no doubt you'll have options.

I got caught up in what pads were the best and reduced brake dust the most but the truth is its such a drastic difference vs stock I would have been happy either way.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
743 Posts
I agree with Colley. I just changed out the pads and rotors. I followed another member's advice and used OEM pads and Disc Italia hyperceramic pads. No noise/squeal. No dust. Only difference is that the initial 'bite' is not quite as sharp when braking. (Mine is MY 2013 L405 supercharged).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not the best pic... but here is gloss. You really have to see it to make a true conclusion.

Honestly I am still on the fence... but I have a slight preference for gloss especially if less maintenance. Had my pads replaced recently by JLR for noisy break pads. New "high performance" brake pads didn't fix the problem although after a break in period they are much better.

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Wheel White

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far, gloss = less maintenance and longer preservation of a clean looking wheel than satin. Break dust is like a magnent for the satin rims. I'm def. leaning towards gloss.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
censoring/editing posts and closing great threads... when will you learn to let it be better? :naughty:

·
Registered
20 Posts

This is after driving hard a few days after a wash. Before the ceramic pads the calipers and wheels would be brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thread starter u mention u had the stealth pack. The stealth pack has all the parts that rrs has normally in gloss black in satin black right? Which makes it matt black. So not sure if a point to consider for switching to the gloss black rim will result in you changing the vents, grille mirror cap i to gloss black or not in time to come.
Just a thought before u decide.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts