RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sound quality of the Satellite Radio in my rig is much lower (muddy, thick, lacking clarity, like it is being broadcasted through a foam lined tunnel) as compared to the other three sources of music in the vehicle (CD player, iPod, and local FM radio). My question is simple, is this lack of quality/clarity on satellite something we are all dealing with on this vehicle, or am I unique and need to get the radio head unit or satellite unit replaced? I avoid listening to the satellite simply because the sound quality is so poor. Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.

Vehicle is 2012 Sport HSE Lux with Premium Logic 7 Audio Package

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That seems about right. Sound quality of sat radio in general is stunningly bad, regardless of receiver or vehicle. Some channels are worse than others, but they are all pretty terrible. The digital data is over-compressed to make room for hundreds of channels of crap, instead of a few dozens of good quality music and programming. The only redeeming quality of sat radio is that it is available everywhere, but so is an iPod filled with music you like, so... Sound quality is 100 times worse than a CD, and several times worse than terrestrial radio (especially if you get HD radio where you live) and - depending on how compressed your music is - any decent MP3 player. I haven't listened to sat radio in months because of all these reasons, and I have a lifetime subscription I foolishly purchased years ago, when sat radio was still new and quality was acceptable. I am amazed SiriusXM is still in business, but as "background" music for folks not too demanding about sound quality (truck drivers, on-hold music, Howard Stern fans, etc.) I guess they still fill a niche.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
Very new to Rover, in fact I have only had mine for about a week, but just for comparison, I do notice a significant difference in audio quality when listening to Sat radio. That said, I do not think it's as bad as what you're describing. I notice the sound is, what I would describe, as flat. The bass is not as rich (deep) and the treble is tinny. Maybe try sending a refresh signal to your radio, can be done from Sirius web site, or have the Sat module checked if your sound quality is awful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts