RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Satellite Radio disconnects randomly in weather below 40 degrees

I have an 06 Range Rover Sport. As long as I have owned this vehicle and satellite radio randomly disconnects in cold weather less than about 40. Dealer was no help in ever solving the problem back when it was under warranty. I've just lived with it, but every winter the darn thing sporadically gives me an "invalid" display. Often it will work properly for 30 seconds after starting the vehicle before the music stops and the display reads invalid. The problem has never occurred on warm weather. Any guidance would be most helpful. thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: Satellite Radio disconnects randomly in weather below 40 degrees

We had a nice coat of ice last night, is anything blocking the shark fin?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

No, It never sits outside where snow or ice will accumulate on top. It is definitely provoked by the cold, even in dry conditions. this has occurred off and on for 5 winters. Never in the summer or nicer weather!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,014 Posts

Your car is subtly letting you know she is ready for retirement, in Florida. ;-)

Whenever weird electrical gremlins occur with these cars in very cold weather during or right after startup, I always think low battery first. although your issue repeats itself every winter, so that's probably not the case. I don't have the first clue, sorry.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Your car is subtly letting you know she is ready for retirement, in Florida. ;-)
or Costa Rica.

IDK either. It may be a loose connection anywhere between the roof antenna and the head unit--that's a lot of work to chase down. Perhaps a mobile audio shop has some sort of test equipment to quickly sort this out?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have (or had, since I canceled my subscription) a similar problem with an 07, not directly connected to cold weather though. Just weak signal, took several seconds to lock in any station, then I had random disconnects frequently.
Never really investigated the problem, I assumed it was old tech gear (XM on my Cayenne and on wife's Explorer, both recent MY, is impeccable).
If you say it should work flawlessly, I wouldn't mind finding the cause and re-subscribe to Sirius...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,014 Posts

FWIW, I have a 2013 LR4 with Sirius. While reception issues seem to have definitely improved over my 2006 RRS - not sure if due to better hardware or better coverage - service is still far from impeccable here in L.A., there are still frequent cutouts when driving on freeway underpasses and most tunnels, even in a city like Los Angeles where I would expect terrestrial repeaters to be installed everywhere. Also, it does seem like certain hours of the day may be better than others for reception (weather conditions or temperatures don't seem to make a difference in my experience), perhaps because the birds up there may be better positioned. What has gotten worse since 7 years ago, and I didn't think it was possible, is the service's sound quality. The amount of compression they use is absolutely despicable, it's OK when you are driving in the desert or other areas with no cell phone or FM radio reception and realize you have forgotten your MP3 player and all CDs at home `). Otherwise, I never listen to sat radio anymore. Had I not purchased a lifetime subscription back in the days, I would have canceled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks guys, I figured there was no miracle cure. I've lived with it this long....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts